none
Policy to set Site to Zone not working?

    Question

  • Hi,

    Using Windows 7 Pro desktops with IE 11.  I have created a policy to set a number of policies for Internet Explorer, however, I'm not seeing that they are being implemented. 

    When I perform a gpresult /r I don't see my policy listed.  I have the policy linked to the OU where my user object is located and Security Filtering contains a security group for which my user is a member, which is similar to other policies that are being applied correctly.

    Digging further I found that under User Configuration | Preferences | Control Panel Settings | Internet Settings there is one entry for Internet Explorer 8.  Interestingly enough, when I log on to a computer that still has IE9 installed the policy is being implemented.  Guessing 9 must be close enough to 8 to allow this.

    But when I right-click and say New, my options only include IE 5 and 6, 7 and 8.  Thinking this is filtering my policy how do I get IE 11 in the list to use?  Or if I simply remove the IE8 reference will it will work for all versions?

    Thanks in advance,

    Linn

    Thursday, August 18, 2016 4:23 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Internet Explorer Site to Zone Assignment mappings for User policy are handled in a different place from where you indicated in your post.  They are handled here:

    User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel > Security Page

    Note: I realize you're talking about user policy here but there is an equivalent path under computer policy as well.


    Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant


    Friday, August 19, 2016 4:03 AM
  • I'm sorry Todd, been so busy that I thought I had replied to this.  I do have the Site to Zone Assignment set as you described. But that doesn't seem to be helping.  I still don't see the zone being set and I can still manually change the zone.

    When I run gpresult /r I don't see the policy listed under Applied Group Policy Objects.

    I have the policy linked to the OU where my user object resides and I'm filtering on a security group that only has my user object as a member.  WMI Filtering is set to None, the policy is Enabled but not Enforced.

    Not sure what else to look at.

    Thanks,

    Linn

    Monday, August 29, 2016 3:10 PM
  • Hi Linn,
    According to your description, you have use security filtering function in the GPO, in this case, you might need check the following article:
    MS16-072: Security update for Group Policy: June 14, 2016
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/3163622
    In addition, please have a try to use group policy preference and see if it works. You could follow the details step by step according to the blog as below:
    Group Policy – Internet Explorer Security Zones
    https://blog.thesysadmins.co.uk/group-policy-internet-explorer-security-zones.html
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best Regards,
    Wendy

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, September 01, 2016 1:34 AM
    Moderator