Broken border settings in W2010's create/modify table styles dialog RRS feed

• Question

• Applies To:  W2010, Windows 7
    While in the create or modify table style dialog, any change in the border line style of any line or segment changes all borders. In other words, I can't set the outside borders to solid and the inside borders to dotted in the table style setup.  I don't recall seeing this this problem in the 2010 beta.  And it is not a problem in W2007 and 2003.  
    I posted this question in July on MS Answers and essentially got no reply.  Has anyone else rasked about this?  I have a few corporate clients who use table styles and may be migrating to O2010.   I'd like to be able to tell them that this problem is fixed.
    Pam
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:09 PM

All replies

• In a quick test, it seems to be working for me, although it required some fiddling to get the borders I wanted (applying and reapplying formats). It does seem to be an issue where applying different formats within the same table (style) is more difficult than it used to be...

The reason you haven't gotten any replies is because people avoid table styles, I think.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:09 PM
  • But I was hoping that someone would at least test it (thank you for that), see the problem, and escalate it--or tell me that I'm wrong.

I've just checked and it's still not working for me & yes I repaired Office (no problems).  Here're the steps I take after clicking new table stye...

1. For Apply formatting to, select Whole table  
    2. Click the All Borders icon to apply the default border (solid 1/23 pt automatic line).
    3. Change to the inside borders icon, which removes the inside borders.
    4. Change the line style to dotted and blue.

The outside borders immediately change to blue dotted.  When I click the inside border, they are also blue dotted.  In previous versions and in the W2010 document, the borders don't change until a border icon is clicked.   

Do you get the same result when you follow my steps? (Yes, I know I can get some individual borders for the whole table if I go to Format > Borders and Shading dialog.)

Pam

• Edited by PamCaswell Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:19 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:18 PM
  • Yes, I can definitely reproduce that. It does seem to work from inside Format | Borders and Shading, as you have noticed.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:35 PM
  • Wonderful. Can you bring this to a MS techie's attention, please?
    Friday, September 30, 2011 12:11 AM
  • I’m certainly going to try. :-)  I’m not convinced that table styles are high priority though.

Friday, September 30, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Thank you, Stefan.

Pam

Saturday, October 1, 2011 1:05 AM