none
Different dates on task and activitety RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we seem to get different finish dates on our plans. The resourse get one date in their assigments, and in the plan the finish date (that is the correct date) sometimes are later den the date for the resource.

Do anybody know why this happens?

For the record we have MS Project 2010, and the resources reports progress via Project web app.

Jeanette

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:11 PM

All replies

• The resource will see the assignment finish date but in the plan I guess you are looking at the task finish date.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:17 PM
  • JeAusland --

Depending on what progress your team members enter in PWA, this can cause Finish dates to change.  For example, you have a team member assigned to a task that is scheduled to start on a Monday and Finish on a Friday.  The team member enters progress showing that they actually started the task on Wednesday, not on Monday.  In this scenario, it would cause the task Finish date to slip by 2 days.  I would suspect that what you are seeing is normal behavior, based on status reporting by your team members.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:19 PM
  • Yes, this I already know.

But that still dosent explain why theres is a different between  the dates.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

As Paul and Dale perfectly explained above, I can see 2 reasons:

• The task has be updated by the team member with an actual finish, which pushes the finish date. Before the project manager approves, the finish date in the project plan will be different.
    • On a single task with multiple assignments, you can encounter this behavior. A task might be 2 weeks long, resource A working on the first week only and resource B on the 2nd week only. In this case, the resource A's assignment will have a different finish date than the one from the task. Similarly the resource B's assignment will have a different start date.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:30 PM
  • Hi,

the resources report "% work complete" and "Remaining work" (if this is necessary) and we have "Fixed duraction". 

When this happens, the finish date for the task is always later then the finish date on the assigment.

If the date that on the assigment where after the date for the task your explaining would make seanse for me.

We have predessessors and sucsessors on all our taskes, and the diffence isnt happening on all project and not all taks in some specific projects.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:35 PM
  • Hi,

The second point in my reply below could explain a task finish date later than an assignment finish date. Have you checked out if it could be the case (ie multiple assignments on the task)?

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:39 PM
  • Hi,

We thought that this was the explanation, but we also se the different dates in tasks with only one resource.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:44 PM
  • So if you open this project plan up in Project Professional, select the task in question, split the view so you have the Gantt in the top and the Task Usage in the bottom, do all the dates match in the task usage view? You will see start / finish dates for the task then indented below that you will see the resource with start / finish dates for the assignment - do these match what you are seeing in project and PWA?

Paul

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:05 PM
  • Hi,

in the gant chart we se a split. All the hours are according to the dates for the assigment and the split shows a finish date according to the tasks finish date. Did you understand this?

The problem with this is at the resources see one finish date in their "My work" overview but in the plan they really have more time to finish there assigments on, because its this finishdate for the task we plan after and.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:44 AM
  • Hello,

Not sure I follow, did you set up a view like below in Project Pro to check the finish / start dates of the task and assignment:

project view

Notice how the assignment start and finish dates (bottom two rows in the lower view) are different to the task start and finish date. Is this what you see?

Paul

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:09 AM
  • Paul;

Yes, we get different dates like that.

I know that MsP seperats task and assignment, but why do MsP give one resource less or more duration and why do MsP part hours between resources whitout any context from anothe task eg.

And why do we get differnt duration on the assignment and the task when we only have one resource on the task?

Jeanette

Monday, June 2, 2014 5:58 AM
  • Hi Jeanette,

Maybe it would be easier for us to help you if we could have some screenshots that will give us more details. So far we are not able to point out wheither it is a bug from the application or an incorrect understanding or operation.

Concerning your question, MS Project will give a resources assignments the amount of work based on calculations and parameters such as the task type or effort driven. It will particularly have an impact while updating the assignment. It could help us if we knew the step you did while creating/updating the assignments in question.

MS Project will part hours based on what you tells it. But basically creating or updating a task will not be done based on others tasks, unless you use features such as leveling. What do you exactly mean by "MsP part hours between resources whitout any context from anothe task"?

Finally for your last question, we definitely would need the steps you went through and screenshots. For example, if the resource updates the task start and finish dates but the project manager hasn't approved yet, you'll have a discrepency between "my task" and the project plan which is completely normal.

Hope this helps,

Monday, June 2, 2014 12:52 PM