Hierarchical categories on analytical chart RRS feed

• Question

• I have an OWC2003 chart from BSM2005, and i need to convert this to an analytical chart in PPS2007. the reason i need it to be a analytical chart is so that i can pass the time period and other dimension membors as filter items via a site filter in a dashboard.

The original looks like this: http://proffysworld.com/rcs.jpg and is running off an Analysis services 2005 cube

See how the time on the X axis has been broken into quarters, months etc? these levels are defind in a heierarchy of the time dimension in the cube but i cant seem to get that grouping working on the PPS analytical chart.

Is this possible and if so how do i do it?

Saturday, February 9, 2008 4:05 AM

Answers

• If the reason behind you going for analytic chart instead of pivot chart in PPS is just that you need to pass some members via a filter Item then you can do it directly by linking the filter to pivot chart in dasboard or you can have page filters in the pivot chart itself.

In Analytic Chart it is only possible to drill up/down or to other Hierarchy. It is not possible to show the entire hirearchy as can be done in Pivot Chart.I am not sure of any other grouping methods in PPS similar to the one's we have in BSM. So, at a time you can either see the years or quarters or months in Analytic Chart.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 6:29 AM

All replies

• If the reason behind you going for analytic chart instead of pivot chart in PPS is just that you need to pass some members via a filter Item then you can do it directly by linking the filter to pivot chart in dasboard or you can have page filters in the pivot chart itself.

In Analytic Chart it is only possible to drill up/down or to other Hierarchy. It is not possible to show the entire hirearchy as can be done in Pivot Chart.I am not sure of any other grouping methods in PPS similar to the one's we have in BSM. So, at a time you can either see the years or quarters or months in Analytic Chart.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 6:29 AM
  • Thanks, this tip helped.. but now i have an interesting problem regarding filters.

ive tried to keep the OWC chart, and i need to pass the time dimension from the site filter to the chart (X axis). I cant seem to get this work.

With non-time site filters, i have linked to the endpoint "page" on the OWC chart and this is working great. However the time dimension is a problem because it has to be displayed on the x axis, i.e. it isnt a "background" type filter. My site filter is driven by the time intelligence formula "Month:Month-6". So i need this passed to the OWC chart so that the X axis is limited to the past 6 months only.

ive tried creating the filter and linking to endpoints row, column, filter, page.. and nothing seems to work. is this a limitation? is there anothe way to get this working?
    Monday, February 11, 2008 11:09 AM
  • As per my knowledge this is definitely a limitation of PPS where in you can link filter to Pivot Charts but it doesn't work correctly.

I think Mark was referring to "Analytic Grid". Also Analytic Charts are an better option than Pivot Charts in PPS.But as I mentioned in my previous post even they have their own limitations.

Monday, February 11, 2008 11:58 AM
  • By the way, the writer is correct in an earlier post that Analytic Charts do not allow you to show multiple levels on the axis labels. (Months, Quarters, and Years)

Just out of curiosity, why is that important to your deployment? Wouldn't it be OK (or better) to just see the months - it seems like showing the quarters and years is just a waste of space, except for knowing which year it is?

Are you worried about not being able to tell which year a month belongs to (is it January 2007 or January 2008?) If that's the case you can add another attribute to your cube that shows a month and year combo, such as "Jan 2007", and use that in your analytic chart).

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Hi there,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Well, one reason we wanted to have multiple levels on the chart was that we were migrating an existing set of reports and scorecards from BSM2005. We wanted to copy the existing look of graphs where possible but still migrate those OWC charts to Analytical Charts for better filtering and drilldown capabilities.

Also, the data for the graph is off a financial cube, and the users tend to prefer to see quarters on there as well Smile

Are you able to offer any suggestion for trying to link a Time Intelligence site filter to the X axis of an OWC pivotchart? I am able to successfuly link filters for dimensions not shown on the graph, and the graph updates correctly. Only with time does it fail. This is so easy to do with the new Analytical charts but i would like to know if there is a way to do that with PPS07 and OWC charts
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:58 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification. I don't believe that linking a TI filter to an OWC PivotChart will work - I believe that's a limitation of that type of report.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 4:36 PM