none
Project Pro Client V2007 crashes when Deleting View from Organizer RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Gantt View that has embedded graphics.  One of our lessons-learned is to create a copy of any view that has embedded graphics because it doesn't take much to have all of the graphics disappear (one Ctrl-z and they are all gone!). Should the primary view lose the graphics you can always revert to the backup.  Our method of creating a backup view is to to View==>More Views==>Copy.  This will create a copy of the view with the words "Copy of" appended to the front. 

Today's problem du jour is that I want to delete the Copy view to make room for the new Copy.  When I delete the view from the Organizer and the hit "Close" I get a fatal error from Microsoft Project and the client crashes.  This only happens for this view.  I tried renaming the view, but I get the same problem.  I fear that there is something corrupted with that view and it is not deleting cleanly.  The work-around is to not delete the view.

We are on Project Pro V2007 SP3 (12.0.6662.5000)

Suggestions?

Friday, December 7, 2012 5:02 PM

Answers

• John - I came in this morning and attempted again to delete the views. I was hoping a weekend, clean cache, and a clear head might make a difference.  No luck.

I am agreeing with you that it is probably file corruption, copy the key data to a new file, and move on.

Monday, December 10, 2012 12:28 PM

All replies

• Chris,

Okay, here's the bad news. It works fine for me. Under Project Pro 2007 SP3 running on Windows XP Pro, I created a simple Project file. On the Gantt Chart view I inserted a PDF graphic. I then went to View/More Views and saved that view as a copy. I saved the file, closed it and exited Project. I re-started Project and opened the file. I went to the Organizer selected the copy of the Gantt Chart view and hit "Delete", "Yes", and "Close". I saved the file, closed it and again exited Project. Throughout the whole process I did not get an error messages and Project did not crash.

Just for reference I am not connected to Project Server.

So, any additional information you can share about the details of what you did could help us to determine what might be wrong. Some preliminary thoughts might be that your file is corrupt, or your user profile is corrupt, although the latter seems to be more of an issue that has popped up under Project 2010. If you are connected to Project Server, try running off-line.

John

Saturday, December 8, 2012 4:35 PM
  • If you copy the Views to a new blank project then save the new project, does the same thing happen?

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Sunday, December 9, 2012 2:21 AM
  • I copied my views, tables, fields to a new project.  I then went and deleted the "Copy" views from the Organizer without issue from the new file.
    Monday, December 10, 2012 12:27 PM
  • John - I came in this morning and attempted again to delete the views. I was hoping a weekend, clean cache, and a clear head might make a difference.  No luck.

I am agreeing with you that it is probably file corruption, copy the key data to a new file, and move on.

Monday, December 10, 2012 12:28 PM