Install Vista-64 or Vista-32?, that is the question... RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't owned a 64-bit enabled processor until just recently.  I am running the 32-bit version of XP Pro, and the 32-bit version of Vista Beta 2.

Should I be installing the 64-bit version?  Are there any advantages?  Are there any disadvantages?

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:38 AM

All replies

• Speed , Speed , Speed, better access to more memory, 1st check to see if there are drivers in 64 bit of so, give it a try...
    Thursday, July 6, 2006 4:33 PM
  • I strongly recommend using the 32 bit version, no matter what kind of system you have.

I started out with the x64 version, and it was as slow as molassas.  It would easily guzzle over 1GB using IE alone.  Windows Media player was also pretty flakey, especially when dealing with web content.

XP x64 is my primary OS, and it's lighting fast.  I was initially very disappointed with 64 bit Vista.

I assumed this was a general Vista problem, but according to Anandtech, Vista x64 really is slow, probably because of all the debugging software that is still included, and the need to run the WOW64 box for 32 bit apps.

I reinstalled with the 32 bit version, and it is much faster and more usable in every way.  I'm sure Vista x64 will eventually be a fine product, but for now I think you will have a much more satisfactory experience with the 32 bit version.

Friday, July 7, 2006 4:09 AM
  • Glad to read your post daflory. I installed the 32 bit and have had second thoughts all along. Many things I've read says I won't get the true "Vista" experience if I don't install the 64 bit, but it's already a memory hog in the 32 bit. Already had to buy a new Video card because the Media Center wouldn't even function with my 64MB card.
    Sunday, July 9, 2006 2:33 PM
  • I installed the 32 Vista via Virtual PC to see what it was like and it is so slow, I gave it 512 MB of ram and that didn't seem to help much. My other issue is the video card, I have a 32 MB video card, that shouldn't affect the speed of Vista would it? I just upgraded to 1GB of ram to run the OS and the virtual PC program, but with nothing else running except these two, I could literally watch the time slowly tick by to do anything like just opening a folder. Do I need more ram as well? Thanks to all for your help in advance!
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:29 PM
  • Probably running under Virtual PC is really slowing things down.  You really need to give Vista it's own boot partition.

Also, you won't really be able to see what it's like with a 32MB video card.  Aero (the new interface) won't work at all without heavier video hardware.

For Vista to really "work" (not just boot up) you need at least a 128MB DirectX 9 video card (256MB is much better) video card, and at least 1GB of RAM.

As I write this, Vista's using 716MB out of my 2GB, and I just have three IE windows open!  It is fast once you give it the resources it needs, but it needs a lot.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 10:55 PM