legacyExchangeDN updates causing Autocomplete to break RRS feed

• Question

• Currently running Exchange 2010 SP2, Rollup 2.

We have an external coexistence script (with Groupwise) that appears to be updating contacts. This script is also updating the legacyExchangeDN attribute of these mail contacts. However, it appears the actual content of the legacyExchangeDN is not changing, but being over written with the same value (possibly deleting, then adding back in legacyExchangeDN value).

Will this type of modification cause Autocomplete to break? While I realize that changing the value of the legacyExchangeDN will cause Autocomplete cache to break, will deleting then putting the original value back in cause Autocomplete to break as well?

Thanks for any insight.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 5:48 PM

Answers

• If the value is changed, then an email sent using the old value, it will bounce.
    Furthermore if someone does a lookup during that window, then they will cache the old value.

On top of that, if they are in cached mode, then the OAB is only generated once a day. If the value is changed and then the OAB is generated, that value will stick until the next generation.

Summing up, the value shouldn't be changed. Whatever is making the change should be adjusted so it doesn't apply new settings to something that already exists, or you ensure the value is always the same.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by T Barber Wednesday, December 2, 2015 10:25 AM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 5:35 PM

All replies

• First - Exchange 2010 SP2 is no longer supported and you should update. If the server is exposed to the internet at all then you are at risk of failing any kind of audit. You should be on Exchange 2010 SP3 with the latest rollup (11 at the time of writing).

As long as the same values are put back, then autocomplete will not break. The resolving of the item doesn't occur until the email is sent.

Simon.

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, November 4, 2015 6:42 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:09 PM
  • Can others confirm? I am seeing a different behavior. What if the value is changed, but then changed back? Will autocompletes still work? It seems like the autocomplete cache is using an "old" version of the link that will not deliver internally.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 1:47 PM
  • If the value is changed, then an email sent using the old value, it will bounce.
    Furthermore if someone does a lookup during that window, then they will cache the old value.

On top of that, if they are in cached mode, then the OAB is only generated once a day. If the value is changed and then the OAB is generated, that value will stick until the next generation.

Summing up, the value shouldn't be changed. Whatever is making the change should be adjusted so it doesn't apply new settings to something that already exists, or you ensure the value is always the same.

Simon.

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by T Barber Wednesday, December 2, 2015 10:25 AM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 5:35 PM