none
How to delete computer from inventory? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I have a Computer that was found in my AD when I ran the MAP inventory for the first time and shows up on my current hardware report. The Computer in question no longer exists on my network and its account has been deleted from my AD. How do I remove this from the MAPS inventory database and subsequently off of the reports that are generated from the MAPS database? I've since re-ran the inventory multiple times and the Computer keeps appearing in the generated reports. Thanks!

Anthony
    • Edited by homeskillet Monday, March 31, 2008 4:05 PM List extra step I have taken.
    Monday, March 31, 2008 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi homeskillet -

There are two options here:

1) Create a new database and re-run the inventory
    2) Open up the existing project database and remove the device in question from the Devices table.

If you need a script for this, let me know and I'll see what we can dig up.
    Monday, March 31, 2008 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi homeskillet -

There are two options here:

1) Create a new database and re-run the inventory
    2) Open up the existing project database and remove the device in question from the Devices table.

If you need a script for this, let me know and I'll see what we can dig up.
    Monday, March 31, 2008 4:19 PM
  • Perfect! I deleted the record from the devices table. I choose the 'dns_host_name' field to base the deletion on (if it matters).

Thanks again.

Anthony
    Monday, March 31, 2008 4:49 PM
  • Make sure you re-run your reports using the Generate new reports wizard. Let me know if the device still shows.

Rob
    Monday, March 31, 2008 5:21 PM
  • I need to do this as well.  Can you tell me how to do option 2?

Thanks

Mike

Monday, October 25, 2010 4:46 PM
  • it's literally as was said:

DELETE FROM dbo.devices WHERE dns_host_name LIKE 'computername.%'

Take a backup of the database before you do this, as it's destructive and non-recoverable without a backup to restore.

If you're not comfortable with running SQL queries, you're better off with option 1.

Monday, October 25, 2010 5:04 PM
  • Thank you for the query.  I am quite comfortable writing SQL queries, I work with MySQL a ton, which I know is quite similar to MSSQL.  Can you please tell me where to enter that query into and where to do a backup of the database.

Thank you

Mike

Monday, October 25, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Finally figured out how to get SQL Server Management Studio installed and ran the query from there.  Thanks again for the help.
    Mike
    Monday, October 25, 2010 9:03 PM