none
Migrating a secondary zone to primary zone

Question

• Hi, community.

I'm here again with another question. I had a DNS schema where my Windows Server 2012 had the role of secondary DNS. So, it inherited all the records of my local resolution from my primary DNS server (BIND).

But now my BIND is dead but there is no problem with my local resolution. All the records on my Windows are working fine but now my problem is that I can not add new records over my secondary zone in Windows because all the records come from my old DNS.

My question is ... May I backup the secondary zone using 'dnscmd', erase the secondary zone and then create a primary zone using the backup? Is it functional? The resolve of my local records will still working?

Thanks in advanced!

Friday, May 4, 2018 4:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have a nice day! Thanks for your question.

Secondary Zones are a DNS feature that allows the entire DNS database from a Master DNS server to be transferred to the Secondary. It can not be modified, but only read permission.

Meanwhile, I created a similar environment as yours and make this lab. I exported dns zone file by powershell and recreate the zone as primary. (dnscmd seems not functional to get an error.) Even it has previous records but wouldn’t perform replication between the two DNS servers. I guess it may caused by the difference of their SOAs’ serial numbers.

So, the secondary dns wouldn’t function as previous and can’t provide fault tolerance and load balancing to internal names.

Here are the links refer to export dnszone command, it may be helpful.

Export-DnsServerZone

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dnsserver/export-dnsserverzone?view=win10-ps

http://www.wolffhaven45.com/uncategorized/export-dnsserverzone-fails-to-export/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope above information can help you.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards, 

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 7, 2018 8:39 AM
  • Hi Michael.

Thank you for your answer. I know that if I do so, I'll lost my redundance but actually my fault tolerance is not working. I've to deal with it at least a couple of weeks :(

So, the results of the lab is that the primary zone still resolving names as the secondary zone used to do?

Best regards.

Monday, May 7, 2018 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

It can work but as a individual DNS server. It couldn't synchronizing zone from previous primary zone. It also couldn't register dns from clients as the result of the lab.

So, I think it isn't recommended to do this. It has influence on name resolution and will cause problems.

Highly appreciate your successive effort. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 6:06 AM
  • Hi,
    Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back
    Best Regards,
    Michael

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

Saturday, May 12, 2018 8:20 AM