none
Restore mailboxes disconeted on EDB database file

Question

• Hi everyone.

I did some research here and on the web in general, but i couldn't find a case similar to mine, so i would appreciate any help.

I have a Exchange Server 2013 and for some reason the .EDB files were missing, so i went to the Volume Shadow Copy archives and got the .EDB files (the whole folder in fact) and copyied to the original locations on my server configuration.

The case is, the Databases are in place and mounted on the Exchange ECP, but the mailboxes these databases store are still missing. 

I checked the database and saw that the mailboxes I'm looking for are disconected, so is there any way i can put this mailboxes online again?

Nothing in my enviroment, like AD accounts, was modified in this last two days I'm struggling with this problem.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Friday, May 25, 2018 6:56 PM

All replies

• I would suggest you to please check below technet article if it helps you to resolve this issue - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj863439(v=exchg.160).aspx

Also, here is another informative resource to help you more - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj863438(v=exchg.160).aspx

Recover & Restore corrupt Exchange database. Migrate mailbox from Exchange to Exchange & Office 365 Shoviv Exchange Recovery Manager

Saturday, May 26, 2018 10:51 AM
  • Hi,

Directly copying the edb file to the original database location is not an option, we should create a new database and replace the new edb file with the original one. Follow steps below:

1. Create a new mailbox database:

New-MailboxDatabase -Name "Recover" -EdbfilePath "path\recover.edb" -Server "servername"

2. Mount the database:

Mount-Database Recover

3. Dismount the database:

Dismount-Database Recover

4. Replace the new edb file with the original one, and change the name as "recover.edb".
    5. Allow file restore on the database:

Set-MailboxDatabase -Identity "Recover" -AllowFileRestore $true

6. Mount the database again:

Mount-Database Recover

7. Set the user's home database:

Get-mailbox –Database "original database name" | Set-Mailbox –Database “Recover” 

8. Open Outlook or OWA and check if the mailbox is working fine.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, May 28, 2018 9:48 AM
  • Good info from others here, however, I would look close at the Application and System event logs to determine how this occurred.  Files don't just delete themselves, however I have seen a drive have uncorrectable errors and the file gets unlinked, however usually you cannot get the file back.   Just don't want this situation to repeat so check those logs for Errors to ensure all is well  

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:11 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, June 4, 2018 10:03 AM