none
Upgrading to the latest rollup

Question

• Hello,

I am looking at updating to the latest roll up for Exchange in prep for going 365. I am wondering is it just as simple as installing the update from Windows Update? Or is there some form of order? We do have some patching software which could push it all out in a day but I don't know if this is worth doing or not? 

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 8:41 PM

Answers

• Exchange doesn't update from Windows Update.  What version, service pack, update rollup and/or cumulative update level are you at now?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:12 AM

All replies

• Exchange doesn't update from Windows Update.  What version, service pack, update rollup and/or cumulative update level are you at now?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:12 AM
  • Hi,

As Ed said, we need to know your current Exchange 2010 server version by running:

Get-Command ExSetup | ForEach {$_.FileVersionInfo} 

Then compare the product version with the build number in the following article:
    Exchange Server Updates: build numbers and release dates

If your Exchange is under SP1 or SP2, we should firstly install the SP3, then install the RU 20.
    If your Exchange is under SP3, just install RU 20 to update Exchange.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 5:50 AM
  • Thank you

I have run the command which has given me the following information: 

ProductVersion   FileVersion      FileName
    --------------   -----------      --------
    14.03.0123.004   14.03.0123.004

When doing updates from Windows Update it shows me cumulative updates there for Exchange 2010. We have SP3 but I think thats as far as we have got. 

Thanks

James

Monday, May 14, 2018 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

It seems that your Exchange server is in the SP3 version without any rollup. So we should download the latest update rollup (RU 21) from the following link: Update Rollup 21 For Exchange 2010 SP3 (KB4091243), then install it on all Exchange servers.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, May 14, 2018 10:28 AM
  • Thank you is there any order they need installing?

Could servers be done over time? For example could I do say the HT's one night, the CAS the next and the mailboxes the next? Or would that screw something up? 

Thanks

James

Monday, May 21, 2018 10:42 AM
  • You can install Update Rollup 21 directly.  You need not install earlier rollups first.

Monday, May 21, 2018 10:38 PM
  • Thanks do tall the servers need the roll up on the same day? Or can they be done over time?

And is there an order which needs to be followed or can it be any server? 

Oh and will it affect the management tools?

Thanks

James

Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:15 AM
  • They can be on different update rollup levels, but I wouldn't let that persist for long.

Friday, May 25, 2018 6:08 AM
  • Thats great thank you.

Is there an order which they need to be installed or just any server at anytime? 

Thanks

James

Monday, June 4, 2018 7:07 AM
  • https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff637979(v=exchg.141).aspx

Monday, June 4, 2018 5:59 PM