Default User Account Picture RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've configured a group of machines to not require CTRL+ALT+DEL to login, and to not display the last user name logged in, the result is a screen as shown here - http://smallvoid.com/tweak/winnt/pictures/vista-no-last-user.jpg

As you can see the user account picture square is empty.  Can someone indicate the best way to populate that setting so when there is no user logged in the account picture is set to something of my choosing?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 7:38 PM

All replies

• Hi SRotblat, thanks for the post. I suggest you check the following link for detailed steps and information regarding user account picture:

How to Set a Default Logon Display Picture for All Users in Vista

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/152658-user-account-default-logon-display-picture.html

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, April 10, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Thanks, though I don't believe this is will work for what I'm hoping to achieve.

Specifically the instructions state " This will show you how to change the default user logon picture to what you want and set it as the default logon picture for all users on the computer
    without it being able to be changed by the users in Control Panel User Accounts. "

I want to allow users to set their own picture, but still force a specified picture only when no user is logged into the PC.  In XP such actions were typically done by creating a user profile with specific desktop/screen saver options and use that user's profile directory  to over rigth the 'Default User' hidden profile.

Thanks
    Monday, April 13, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Hi SR.otblat,

There is a user profile button in vista. Open welcome center. At the top display where it shows your computer, click (more details) to the right of display. In the column on the left click system properties, open advanced tab, click system settings. In the center of the box will be a button (user profiles.). Open it to show users of the system. But I think the profiles are created from individual desktops, but I'm not sure.
    Diana
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 10:02 PM
  • Sean,

Thank you for posting this link. I have followed all the steps outlined in the document "How to Set a Default Logon Display Picture for All Users in Vista" However, we are still not able to get the picture to change. We have created a new company logo and have the settings correct 128 * 128 etc. We have followed the directions for editing the Group Policy. We have followed the directions for manually editing the registry. We have even downloaded the registry fix. All to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a way around it or found a way to fix this? We are stuck and not sure if there are other options or work arounds for fixing this issue.

Thank you
    Fuzzy Monkey
    Friday, May 29, 2009 10:03 PM
  • It would seem the issue stems from enabling the Group Policy 'Interactive Logon: Do not display last user name'.  With this configured all accounts I've read state you can not have a specified picture displayed.

Again the Vistax64.com link above only is helpful if you want to force a icon for all users, not if you want to specify a icon for the situation where no user is logged in (without effecting the personalized icons user's have configured).
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:28 PM
  • If this is still an issue, here’s some information and a suggestion;
    The "Profile" used when no one is logged on to the computer is under the following Registry Hive: [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT. 
    Desktop settings are usually found here:  HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
    Suggestion: 
     - Set one of your user accounts with a known "user picture' (Uniquely Named file).
     - From within an Admin account, load the user account hive (NTUser.dat file) into Redget32
     - Search the user account hive for your 'unique' picture name
     - Note the 'key' name and data value (folder and file path)
     - Determine if the same key exist in the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT Hive branch
     - If so, for this key set the 'data value' (folder and file path) to the location of the picture you want displayed with no-one logged on

Unsure if this works for the "User Picture, but it does work for other settings i.e. Screen Saver, Wallpaper, etc.

Please post your results.

Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:24 AM
  • I cannot find anything in the registry which lists the defined user account picture in HKCU or HKU....any leads?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:48 PM