none
Wsus Patches take 30+ minutes to Run RRS feed

• Question

• The problem is that small patches, less then a meg, can take up to 30 minutes to run.   This has been forever, on all versions and with lots of patches.  Patches just take an unacceptably long time to run.  I have posted on this before in the past, but wasn't really satisfied with the conclusion.  So I decided to run a procmon while watching the patch, and I found the attached.  Can anyone comment on what I am seeing...

Keywords for search engines;

• BUFFER OVERFLOW
    • BUFFER TOO SMALL
    • NO MORE ENTRIES
    • NAME NOT FOUND
    • TiWorker.exe
    • Regenumvalue
    • Regenumkey

I got these with some simple filters, and they go on and on and on.  I think I found the delay, but don't understand it, or what to do about it.

ProcMon Capture

BlankMonkey

Saturday, December 21, 2019 1:48 AM

All replies

• TIworker is the Trusted Installer worker process.

Buffer Overflow or buffer too small, like No more Entries or Name not found are perfectly legal error result you get back from the Windows Registry API. Some times is not enough known that a value exist, and so you have to check the content.. depending on the content you may check a buffer length or a binary structure.. and from there the different errors you see in proc mon

Patching the OS is one of the most complicated thing you can do in Windows.

So, I would not mess with this.. 

May be it can be optimized, but surely not from the user's side. It must be Microsoft that can review the reports and understanding what's going on, fix the problem.

So, if you noticed a pattern of slowness, send an error report to Microsoft and let them know what did you find..

HTH
    -mario 

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 4:32 PM