none
P10 Server - Clear Department Field from custom field RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Server 2010 and the "Department" field. I have a custom field that was originally for one group but now will be organization-wide.  I am going into the custom field and am trying to just remove the value in "department" for that custom field so that it is available for all the schedules.  I saw a thread from a 2011 post about this but the main solution of "delete the field" wouldn't seem practical since this field is in use and has values and has reports against it already.  All I am trying to do is make it more widespread. 

How can I delete/remove the value in the custom field, department option, so it is blank and available to everybody?

Thanks.

Collin

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Collin--

If a custom field is pointing to a department & project is also from that department, Project manager can see that custom field. As we know that Department feature is a structure and NOT Security. You can edit & clear the Custom field reference to Department.
    Another way is to clear the Department value on MS project project information & use None. It will show all the custom fields.

Does that help?

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”. Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82

Thursday, August 9, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Hi Amit,

First, thanks for the response.  However, that isn't quite what I was referring to.  I didn't realize I could put an image on here or I would have last time.  What I am trying to do is modify this custom field so that not ONLY D53 can use, but that everybody sees it.  I want this to be a "global" field and not a "D53 only" field.  When I go into that Department field and try to delete/backspace or otherwise remove it, I can't. 

Collin

Thursday, August 9, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Hi,

Try to select the same department again - it should disappear.

• Proposed as answer by N.Hung Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:55 PM
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:20 PM
  • Thank you Lukasz11 for the answer. I didn't think about it.
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:55 PM
  • Thank you so much. It answered my question!
    Thursday, July 19, 2018 1:00 PM