Removing the Show Desktop button from the taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way at all to remove the Show Desktop button? I find it an absolute pain, as I never use the desktop (if I want to access files on the desktop I'll just load an explorer window that can actually stay on top of other windows). I have seen programs which remove the start button, which can be useful, but I'd like to get rid of that silly rectangle too.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 10:42 PM

Answers

• Is there any way at all to remove the Show Desktop button? I find it an absolute pain, as I never use the desktop (if I want to access files on the desktop I'll just load an explorer window that can actually stay on top of other windows). I have seen programs which remove the start button, which can be useful, but I'd like to get rid of that silly rectangle too.

Hi

We haven't found a way to remove that button, in the beta builds yet.

Wait until the Final RTM version is available in late October and you will probably see a lot of ways to tweak different areas of Windows 7.    J

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 10:52 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately you can't get rid of it(that i could find or am aware of) but you can disable the annoying preview by rightclicking the tab then left click "Peak at desktop" which will disable it, and so when you put your mouse over it no preview will appear.

I hope this helps some :)
    Experience is Use/Knowledge and understanding that Use/Knowledge is the key to Experience. -JJTech

Windows 7 RC: Remember now this OS is not final and is Subject to all kinds of things that can very on different hardware. -JJTech
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 10:49 PM

Hi

We haven't found a way to remove that button, in the beta builds yet.

Wait until the Final RTM version is available in late October and you will probably see a lot of ways to tweak different areas of Windows 7.    J

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 10:52 PM