DSC problem with Adobe Reader RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently in the process of sequencing a large amount of apps for a client and as I'm relatively new to App-V, it's pretty much learning-as-I-go.

And now I ran into a challenge: we succesfully sequenced Adobe Reader 10.1 and it is working fine with opening PDF's on the local (or network) filesystem or from local applications (like IE or Office 2010). However, there is a 3rd party application (sequenced separately) that wants to launch a PDF from it's own bubble (e.g. c:\folder\filename.pdf, a virtualized location outside its installation folder) when accessing a certain part of the Help system. Adobe Reader wil launch, but will produce an error that the file cannot be found.

So far this looks logical to me: as each app has it's own bubble to work from, Adobe Reader should not be able to access the pdf file. However, someone told me I could use dynamic suite composition to get around this problem. So I used the DSC tool to add the Adobe Reader as a secondary package to the 3rd party app (being the primary) and after saving, the OSD file reflects the new sitiuation (the codebase part of Adobe Reader is added under <dependencies>).

But it is not working as I hoped (and yes, I refreshed the client). If I use procmon, I can see sfttray launching adobe reader with the correct path (c:\folder\filename.pdf) but Adobe Reader gets a "PATH NOT FOUND" result.

So the question is: does Adobe Reader not have access to the bubble of the other application? Or do I need to configure more that just adding the dependency (using the DSC tool)? I tried searching for a good explanation to what DSC can and cannot do, but haven't yet found satisfying documentation on this.

If there is no workable solution for this with Adobe Reader as App-V package, we will go ahead and do an SCCM rollout of it, but that's a last resort really.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Monday, August 1, 2011 12:18 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the input!

No, there is no Reader process when I use the feature. I just boot Windows, start the application, access the help-function that calls the PDF and Adobe Reader launches but shows an error that it can't find the document.

I tried sequencing Adobe Reader with the primary package, but as we publish a file association for .pdf to the original Adobe Reader package, it still opens that one instead of the one sequenced with the app. I'm not sure if there is a way around that.

During sequencing yesterday, I came across another app that has the same problem... and I don't think sequencing adobe reader with every app that needs it is the way to go. So deploying Adobe Reader through SCCM is looking more and more like the best workable scenario.

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sander Prinsen Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:15 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:01 AM

All replies

• Do you have an existing instance of Reader (or any AcroRd32.exe processes) running before using the feature in the other application that launches the PDF?

DSC is intended for simple scenarios, so in this case DSC may not be the best approach. If you can't get the interaction between the two applications working, you could sequence a copy of Reader into the same package as the primary application.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 2:20 PM
  • The suite should perhaps happen the other way around - however;

Full software suites are not supported as secondary packages in a DSC-suite

/Znack
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:28 AM
  • Thanks for the input!

No, there is no Reader process when I use the feature. I just boot Windows, start the application, access the help-function that calls the PDF and Adobe Reader launches but shows an error that it can't find the document.

I tried sequencing Adobe Reader with the primary package, but as we publish a file association for .pdf to the original Adobe Reader package, it still opens that one instead of the one sequenced with the app. I'm not sure if there is a way around that.

During sequencing yesterday, I came across another app that has the same problem... and I don't think sequencing adobe reader with every app that needs it is the way to go. So deploying Adobe Reader through SCCM is looking more and more like the best workable scenario.

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sander Prinsen Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:15 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:01 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback. That is unfortunate, but if that's the way it works, nothing we can do about that. Then SCCM is the way to go for Adobe Reader...
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:04 AM