none
windows 10 key after re-build

Question

• hello

im helping a friend out with his laptop as windows 10 was completely non functional. i tried to do a restore from image but it refused so i had no choice but to re-install cleanly . his license was genuine as a upgrade from windows 7 OEM but now i have re-installed it says the license is not valid. it is fairly old laptop but still functional for his limited needs. how can i reinstate his old valid win10 upgrade license now?

David

Thursday, March 9, 2017 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hello

You’re still allowed to use Windows 10 on that same PC even after changing its hardware. Activating that license is easier than ever in Windows 10’s Anniversary Update.

Regards, Regin Ravi

Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:44 PM
  • hello

im helping a friend out with his laptop as windows 10 was completely non functional. i tried to do a restore from image but it refused so i had no choice but to re-install cleanly . his license was genuine as a upgrade from windows 7 OEM but now i have re-installed it says the license is not valid. it is fairly old laptop but still functional for his limited needs. how can i reinstate his old valid win10 upgrade license now?

David

Facts that I want to make sure I understand correctly.......

1. Your friend's  "non-functional" Win 10 was activated.
    2. You were trying to do a Clean Install of Windows 10 to solve the problem.

If the above were correct, then you do NOT need to use the Win 7 product key when you do a re-install of Windows 10 in the same laptop.

For Windows 10, Microsoft has done away with "product key".
    When a Windows 10 install was activated, it has a "digital license" saved in the server.
    The digital license allows the user to reinstall the SAME edition of Windows 10 into the SAME computer as often as the user wants and any time the user wants.
    No product key is required because the server will recognize the computer's Windows 10 digital license.
    Activation will be automatic.

When you do a clean install, you do get asked for a product key. Do NOT use the Win 7 product key.
    All you have to do is to select the SKIP option or the "I do not have a product key" option, and continue.
    Upon completion of installation, activation will be automatic.

** P.S. The above is meant to explain to you how digital license works when reinstalling Windows 10. It is not implying that it will solve your friend's "non-functional" issue, although it should. ***

Thursday, March 9, 2017 5:06 PM
  • Hi, 

As david hk129 mentioned, for the free upgraded version of Windows 10, we don't need to reactive during installation. 

Also, the invalid error could be caused if the clean installed version is not the one you upgraded to. 

For example, you use key for Windows Home to active Windows Pro edition, that's the problem. Please search System and check the Edition before you do the re-activation. 

Another thing is if you get everything right, but the activation still failed, contact the Phone activation center, please search SLUI 04 in Start Menu to find the contact number. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 6:01 AM