DPM2012SP1 Update Rollup 3 (4.1.3417.0) unable to backup system state of Windows 8 Pro (x64) client. RRS feed

• Question

• Finally got around to tinkering with DPM 2012SP1 (installed Update Rollup 3 (the 2nd release)) (action pack subscriber).

DPM server is running Windows Server 2012 Standard (latest windows updates), SQL 2012 Sp1 CU5 DB is housed on the same server.

I'm having issues backing up system state of 2 different Windows 8 machines (both x64 Pro with latest Windows updates as of today 9-4-13). I've successfully pushed the DPM client to the workstations.

When it tries to create the initial replica (regardless of whether I check for consistency during creation or not), the replication creation fails giving the error:

Type: Replica creation
    Description: DPM failed to create the backup. If you are backing up only System State, verify if there is enough free space on the protected computer to store the System State backup.  On protected computers running Windows Server2008, verify that Windows Server Backup (WSB) is installed and that it is not performing any other backup or recovery task. (ID 30214 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990ED0)
     More information
    End time: 9/4/2013 2:58:00 PM
    Start time: 9/4/2013 2:57:47 PM
    Time elapsed: 00:00:12
    Data transferred: -
    Cluster node -
    Source details: Computer\System Protection
    Protection group members: 1
     Details
    Protection group: testdpm-systemstate

In digging around finding info on the error message (ID 30214 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990ED0) TechNet states its a "I don't know exactly what happened, but try these things" kind of error.

1. Check WSB logs (this is a workstation so no WSB, and of course no WSB errors in the event logs)

2. Check available disk space on protected computer: DPM states the system state should take about 10GB, and it creates a 15GB volume, and the workstation itself has over 35GB of free space available.

3. In other issues I've had (exchange 2013 MDB backups), a fix was to install c++2012 Update 3 11.0.60610), so I tried installing that on the windows 8 clients in question.

4. I've installed .net 3.5 from "turn on or off windows features), and gone through and let windows update install all the updates regarding 3.5.

Still failing.

I found one person post exact error in the Windows 8 forum, but his post got "answered" to ask the question in the DPM forums, I didn't find his post there, so he either found his answer or gave up......

I AM able to do volume backups without issue on the same windows 8 machines without issue.

Any help anyone can provide would be great!

I will provide any info necessary to assist with a resolution.

Steve Simmons

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 10:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

SystemState protection is not supported for Windows clients.  How are you selecting systemstate in DPM ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Steve Simmons Thursday, September 5, 2013 6:19 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 5:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

SystemState protection is not supported for Windows clients.  How are you selecting systemstate in DPM ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Steve Simmons Thursday, September 5, 2013 6:19 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 5:24 PM
  • I was unaware that system state of client OS's was not supported. Below are the two steps involved that I selected.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 6:16 PM
  • Seeing as how the WSB feature installation on the target server for system state backup is required for it to work properly, and that the WSB feature is not an option on a desktop......makes sense.....

Steve

Thursday, September 5, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Thanks for that.  I don't know why DPM is even giving you that option, seems to be a bug.  I'll see if I can repro and if so file a bug to get that systemstate option removed.

update: I was able to duplicate the condition. Most customers do not use server protection work flow for client machines and probably why this was missed in testing.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:33 PM