none
Bitlocker slow encryption RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using encrypt the entire drive, and remember I did it in another hd 5TB
    I'm using manage-bde -resume in cmd to encrypt the entire drive in recovery mode and did in 4 days. Windows in conventional manner having the graph is slower.
    But with the same model 5TB could not do faster using manage-bde -resume because it is at the same speed encryption in the conventional way and will take at least 1 month. Do not use encrypting only used space on my hard drives .
    I wonder if there is some way to get back to full disk encryption quickly.

Friday, September 16, 2016 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, please make sure you both encrypt the entire drive.

And as the following information,  starting with Windows 10 1511 version, a new encryption mode is coming. it provides additional protection from a class of attacks on encryption that rely on manipulating cipher text to cause predictable changes in plain text. BitLocker supports both 128-bit and 256-bit XTS-AES keys.

In addition, along with the contents on those two disks are different, the encryption process is also different.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 19, 2016 3:06 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please make sure you both encrypt the entire drive.

And as the following information,  starting with Windows 10 1511 version, a new encryption mode is coming. it provides additional protection from a class of attacks on encryption that rely on manipulating cipher text to cause predictable changes in plain text. BitLocker supports both 128-bit and 256-bit XTS-AES keys.

In addition, along with the contents on those two disks are different, the encryption process is also different.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

I use in my external hard drives XTS-AES 256 bits full disk cryptation and remember that once in hd 5TB I have the same was fast using manage-bde -resume in recovery mode , but on the other external hard drive I bought, the same model was very slow at the interface Windows as the command prompt through the recovery image windows or command prompt (advanced options).

Example topic:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6c2c2642-ce00-4b49-aae0-56063879079f/windows-10-bitlocker-full-data-drive-encryption-much-slower-than-on- windows- 8 forum = win10itprosecurity

Monday, September 19, 2016 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

The speed of the encryption is related computer configuration and the disk itself etc. It's hard to simple say the two disks encryption speed should be the same.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

The speed of the encryption is related computer configuration and the disk itself etc. It's hard to simple say the two disks encryption speed should be the same.

The two external hard drives are identical. My PC is top. This may be a flaw in Windows itself.
    Monday, September 26, 2016 3:39 PM
  • My 4TB drive bitlocker works fine. I think maybe your encryption process cannot be the identical. Since you cannot make sure you keep focus on the whole process.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:05 AM