Multiple SCCM Stand-Alone Primary Site on same SQL server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi !

I'm using SCCM 2012 SP1, SQL 2012 CU2, W2k12

i'm implementing SCCM 2012 for a customer

I need two completely separated Sites because my environment has many things centralized (AD) and many other decentralized (Management), I can't use CAS

Is possible to use a same SQL with differents instances for both Stand-Alone Primary Site

Thanks for Help!

MCITP MCTS

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:34 PM

Answers

• Yes. But you must use a dedicated instance of SQL Server for each site.

More information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx#BKMK_SupConfigSQLSrvReq

Ronni Pedersen | Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr | Blogs: www.ronnipedersen.com/ and www.SCUG.dk/ | Twitter @ronnipedersen

• Marked as answer by CValentinHH Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:55 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:44 PM
  • I don't think you will find the word "unsupported" in the docs on this subject but when something breaks and you call CSS they are going to be much less help.

Use a dedicated SQL Server for each site    Although multiple sites can share a single computer running SQL Server to store data, this is not a recommended configuration. If one Configuration Manager site database is compromised on one SQL Server, the attacker has easier access to another Configuration Manager site database on the same SQL Server. Sharing a SQL Server between sites can make it more difficult to recover your site,  you must ensure that the recovery process of the failed site does not affect the other healthy sites. The recovery process becomes more complicated in this situation because you must isolate the recovery procedures to only the failed site

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resolved your issue

• Proposed as answer by SinghSharad Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:49 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Thanks all of you

sumary:

Is possible to use a same SQL with differents instances for both Stand-Alone Primary Site?

R/ Yes is supported

Considerations: Security, Recovery

if you gave the following error:

Site Component Manager detected that site system "\\sqlserver.myDomain.local " is currently in use by ConfigMgr site OP1.

Just take care with SQL session bróker SSB port to be different

Regards!

MCITP MCTS

• Edited by CValentinHH Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by CValentinHH Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:03 AM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:02 AM

All replies

More information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx#BKMK_SupConfigSQLSrvReq

Ronni Pedersen | Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr | Blogs: www.ronnipedersen.com/ and www.SCUG.dk/ | Twitter @ronnipedersen

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:44 PM
  • I don't think you will find the word "unsupported" in the docs on this subject but when something breaks and you call CSS they are going to be much less help.

Use a dedicated SQL Server for each site    Although multiple sites can share a single computer running SQL Server to store data, this is not a recommended configuration. If one Configuration Manager site database is compromised on one SQL Server, the attacker has easier access to another Configuration Manager site database on the same SQL Server. Sharing a SQL Server between sites can make it more difficult to recover your site,  you must ensure that the recovery process of the failed site does not affect the other healthy sites. The recovery process becomes more complicated in this situation because you must isolate the recovery procedures to only the failed site

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resolved your issue

• Proposed as answer by SinghSharad Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:49 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Answers from Ronni and Singhshared are correct, I just want to ask you why you want two different sites. I know you mention shared and non-shared services. I really recommend that you challenge your customer and advice them to use a single site. Make them invest the Money they save by having a single site in designing RBA.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:54 PM

Thanks

so I'm having trouble with site Componnet Manager

Site Component Manager detected that site system "\\sqlserver.myDomain.local " is currently in use by ConfigMgr site OP1.

It means that the other Site is using my SQL Sever and the new one Stand-Alone Primary Site can't use it

I'm just thinking it could be for using the same SQL box, but if it's supported configuration what's the problem?

thanks!

MCITP MCTS

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Hi Kent!

Thanks for reply

My customer has a entire department for PC management and another one for Server management, they have requested full control for her SCCM so thinking on hierarchy the problem will be with the ownership of the SCCM as a service. None of them want to manage services that don't belong to them.

Hope you understand thanks

MCITP MCTS

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:14 PM
  • Not sure how you should troubbleshoot this one... I always install SQL directly on the site server, so I've never tried this configuration in real life (and just like  Singhshared), I'd never go down that road. Too much risk, and too much pain...

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Hello, As I replied before, you would face the problem, read my reply carefully, 

multiple sites can share a single computer running SQL Server to store data, this is not a recommended configuration. If one Configuration Manager site database is compromised on one SQL Server, the attacker has easier access to another Configuration Manager site database on the same SQL Server. Sharing a SQL Server between sites can make it more difficult to recover your site,  you must ensure that the recovery process of the failed site does not affect the other healthy sites. The recovery process becomes more complicated in this situation because you must isolate the recovery procedures to only the failed site

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:16 PM
  • I totally understand, and it's no my Money :-) I have seen the same at several customers. What we have done is trying to estimate the cost of managing two environments. Ususally when Management understands the cost savings.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:17 PM
  •                                                  

Hi SinghSharad

You write some things about security and recovery and you're right. But i'm using different SQL Instance, ports, accounts, IPSEC, local security policy and Windows Firewall to minimize risk.

what about  installation issues.

MCITP MCTS

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Thanks all of you

sumary:

Is possible to use a same SQL with differents instances for both Stand-Alone Primary Site?

R/ Yes is supported

Considerations: Security, Recovery

if you gave the following error:

Just take care with SQL session bróker SSB port to be different

Regards!

MCITP MCTS

• Edited by CValentinHH Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by CValentinHH Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:03 AM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:02 AM