none
Event Viewer Error 10010, Event Viewer Warning 1014

Question

• Issue #1. Every time I boot up the computer, the following error is generated in Event Viewer:

Source: DistributedCom, Event ID: 10010 

The server {F9717507-6651-4EDB-BFF7-AE615179BCCF} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

This key pertains to appID WinInetBrokerServer (CLSID WinInetBroker). I tried adding permissions to the key(s) but that didn't solve the problem. In the permissions for the key, the first user name listed is named Account Unknown (S-1-15-2-1). I think maybe that may have something to do with it. I deleted the 6 registry keys associated with this key and everything worked but I was locked out of Windows XP Mode (Windows Virtual PC). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to fix this error?

Issue #2. ALSO, exactly once a day I receive the following warning in Event Viewer:

Source: DNS Client Events, Event ID: 1014 

Name resolution for the name imrk.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

It would seem that there is an application on my computer that is trying to connect to this site for whatever reason. I have read about ties between this domain and hacking. Someone suggested to enable boot logging in Process Monitor to try to pinpoint the app but there's so much going on in Process Monitor I'm not really sure where to look. All of the apps that run on a daily basis (including the ones that are set to run at startup) seem relatively safe to me. I've run the gamut of anti-virus and scans and my computer is clean. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion to fix this error?

Thank you in advance

Friday, May 5, 2017 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Handsome Prints,

According to your description, if it doesn’t work after you change the permission and use Registry Editor incorrectly, I suggest that we’d better run system in Safe Mode and start system restore to any point in the history to repair. Or it may require you to reinstall your system.

For event 1014, we could try to perform a Clean Boot to avoid the effects of third party software to check. Then we could use the command “ipconfig /flushdns” to clear DNS cache.

Also please check the link below about Event ID 1014: Microsoft Windows DNS Client.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3336.event-id-1014-microsoft-windows-dns-client.aspx?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=TnL5HPStwNw&ranSiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-SfnKGEjOeHGCYLOBGvj6AA&tduid=(71dc8cffc0ebb4728d0b4f16d69311fa)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-SfnKGEjOeHGCYLOBGvj6AA)()

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:19 AM
  • Thank you. I have been receiving this error for over a year now, so it's not possible to go back to a previous restore point.

I went through all the programs in the Services and Startup tabs of msconfig and removed two or three items that weren't being used anymore and the 1014 Warning has since disappeared thankfully.

The 10010 DCOM error still persists though. That's a pretty stubborn one, over 500+ people cite that error (usually in conjunction with several others):

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=The+server+%7bF9717507-6651-4EDB-BFF7-AE615179BCCF%7d+did+not+register+with+DCOM+within+the+required+timeout

but I have not seen a solution posted for it, possibly because more nefarious things are going wrong and the focus is on those other more serious items.

I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but it seems a bit overly complicated having so many different owners for files (System, Trusted Installer, Network, Creator Owner, etc.) in addition to Administrator and User. You'd think three would suffice (e.g. System, Administrator, User).

Saturday, May 13, 2017 9:04 PM
  • Hi Handsome Prints,

Thank you for your clarification. Your idea is right. Then Event ID: 10010 is related to the permission and overly complicated having so many different owners for files. Always we open Component Services and verify that the required security properties are set below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd337766%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If it doesn’t work, based on the error code, we could try to use the two suggestions in the below to solve this issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/484118ca-dad9-4fc5-8cf2-b6827e8d47ba/dcom-errors-10010?forum=w7itproappcompat

If we are locked out of Windows XP Mode, we need open XP Mode Settings and remove the password to check. Please check the steps in the link below provided by Bhavin Trikamji.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/i-am-locked-out-xp-mode/0bfba0e6-b0bb-45f3-8015-d0eda3cfba87

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Thank you Carl. The Access Permissions and Launch and Activation Permissions for my computer are identical to the settings on my wife's computer (both Limits and Defaults) with the exception of the Network Service entry that I added under the Launch and Activation Permissions (as per the link you referenced) which did not resolve the error. However, the permissions for the WinInetBrokerServer App ID and the WinInetBroker CLSID are VERY different compared to those on my wife's computer:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WININETBROKERSERVER APP ID PERMISSIONS (ON MY COMPUTER)

Restricted: Read

System: Read, Full Control

Ken (me): Read, Full Control

Administrators: Read, Full Control

WININETBROKER CLSID PERMISSIONS (ON MY COMPUTER)

Account Unknown(S-1-15-2-1): Special Permissions

System: Special Permissions

Administrators: Special Permissions

Users: Special Permissions

TrustedInstaller: Read, Full Control

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WININETBROKERSERVER APP ID PERMISSIONS (ON MY WIFE'S COMPUTER)

S-1-15-3-1024...: Read

Restricted: Read

System: Read

Users: Read

Administrators: Read

WININETBROKER CLSID PERMISSIONS (ON MY WIFE'S COMPUTER)

S-1-15-3-1024...: Read

System: Read

Administrators: Read

Users: Read

Major differences (when compared to my wife's settings):

1) Looks like I have changed the owner of the App ID key from TrustedInstaller to Administrators (in an attempt to make modifications to the permissions).

2) On the App ID key, instead of an entry for Users, I have an entry for a specific user (Ken).

3) On the App ID key, I am missing the Trusted Installer user.

4) On the CLSID key, the Account Unknown, System, Administrators, and Users users have Special Permissions only instead of Read permissions.

Also, another issue is:

5) On the App ID key, I am missing the Account Unknown user (I believe I deleted references to Account Unknown users because I thought they shouldn't be listed but perhaps that account corresponds to a Windows XP Mode user).

Where it gets tricky is that I cannot modify these permissions without changing the owner of the keys from TrustedInstaller to Administrators (for example) and if I do that, I am not able to change it back to TrustedInstaller (it doesn't "recognize" this object when I verify via Check Names). Also, I am not able to add the Account Unknown(S-1-15-2-1) or Trusted Installer users to the list of users for the App ID key for the same reason. Well, I can, but if I click on Check Names to "verify" the user/object, it shows the message:

An object named "TrustedInstaller" cannot be found. Check the selected object types and location for accuracy and ensure that you typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection.

An object named "Account Unknown(S-1-15-2-1)" cannot be found. Check the selected object types and location for accuracy and ensure that you typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection.

Lastly, if I do decide to go ahead and change the permissions on the App ID and CLSID, I am unsure whether I should replace the owner on subcontainers and objects (by checking the corresponding checkbox).

So as you suggested, it looks like the error has to do with messed up permissions. With all the information given above, do you have any recommendations?

PS: I am not locked out of XP Mode (I did a system restore to regain access after deleting the App ID for WinInetBrokerServer and CLS ID key for WinInetBroker).

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:14 PM
  • Hi Handsome Prints,

Thank you for your clarification.

I think that the APP ID and CLSID different from you wife' system could be the issue. And now it displays account Unknown can't be found. Always it could be related to the Registry. If we couldn't set the permission, I suggest that you could try to use In-place upgrade to repair.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 7:01 AM