SteadyState and Automatic Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all:

I had a question regarding the Automatic Updates feature of Windows Update.  I installed 18 library computers that are connected through a DSL connenction connected to a central switch.  I wasn't sure if the Automatic Updates would be successful as all computers would be updating through one DSL connection, so I turned Automatic Updates off in SteadyState, however using Windows I chose to 'Notify me but do not automatically download or install them'.

The next morning several computers rebooted, however I set a BIOS password and had to enter it, so that Windows could boot up.  The Windows Disk Protection was active as it was committing changes. I was able to get all PCs up and running.  I guess my question is, why did the computers all reboot and did Updates take place.  I have all the Power options set to never power down, standby, hibernate, etc.

My second question is... with an Earthlink DSL connection, would it be OK to have all computers update Monday mornings at 7:00 am without worrying about SteadyState getting stuck at the login screen.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Sunday, March 8, 2009 5:53 PM

Answers

•  

Hi, thanks for the post. I’d like to inform you that after enabling Windows Disk Protection, Schedule Software Updates will be enabled automatically. This setting should override the system setting in Automatic Updates. If you want to disable AU, you need to configure the setting in SteadyState Schedule Software Updates. That's why those updates were installed though you had chosen "Notify me but do not automatically download or install them".

For the second one, it should be working ok if you make the settings in Schedule Software Updates.

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, March 16, 2009 3:46 AM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:16 AM