none
How to use the IEAK create a self-extracting DPInst installation package that caan be installed by double click? RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I Used the tool Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) to create  a self-extracting DPInst installation package.  when I double click the created installation package, pop-up an error message(see the below picture), but can success installed by right click, run as administrator. My account has the administrator privilege.

But I want to install the installation package by double click, not just Run as administrator, how can I do that?Error message dialogure

Best Regards,

Trista.Gao

answer to my question of answer file

• Moved by Kevin Shen Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:00 AM
    Monday, August 18, 2014 5:57 AM

Answers

• Thank you, Michael!

I will try in some other way! Thank you for your replies any way!

• Marked as answer by Trista_gao Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:49 AM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

That might be caused by your admin account, for the created package, there is another thing that might block it from installing, the UAC settings. Even your account is a member of the local admin group, the system (UAC) may not allow to install *.exe files.

We may take a try to change the Ownership of the folder or file, then try to double-click it and check.

1. Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.

2. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

3. Click Advanced, then check the ownership, click change, find your admin account, then click OK.

4. Click OK on the Advanced security Window, then OK.

Here is a similar thread for reference:

"The requested operation requires elevation"

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:43 AM
  • hi Michael,

I change the below settings:

1. turn off UAC (Control Panel->User Accounts), double click to install the file,  failed, same error message;

2.change the ownership of the created installation file(*.exe),(Properties->Security->Advanced->Change), make my account to be the owner, then double click,  failed, same error message;

Both of the two methods all tried, still failed; Are there any other possibilities? 

Thank you!

Trista

Monday, November 3, 2014 2:56 AM
  • Hi Trista,

The following may have some more options to troubleshoot (As we used the self-extracting DPInst.exe file):

1. Clean up system junk with Disk cleanup tool(cleanmgr).

2. Update the PC drivers;

3. Reinstall the progarms associated with DPinst.exe;

4. Run SFC /Scannow;

I am not familiar with DPInst.exe (Based on my research, it is used to install driver package here), and if we have the MSI package, we could run it using a logon script.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 5:45 AM
  • Thank you, Michael!

I will try in some other way! Thank you for your replies any way!

• Marked as answer by Trista_gao Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:49 AM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 2:16 AM
  • Both of the two methods all tried, still failed; Are there any other possibilities? 

Sounds like the message is bogus.  So I would run ProcMon to try to find out what the real symptom cause is.

Otherwise, I think the best alternative would be to start an Administrator Command Prompt (aka elevated cmd.exe window), then navigate to the proper directory, then start the package.  Most likely it would still fail and then definitely prove that the message was bogus.  However, if it does work that way it would give you something to compare when tracing both cases.  Also, I think that starting that way could be invoked by a click procedure.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, November 10, 2014 6:01 PM
    Answerer