none
Can't load Administrative Templates in GPMC. Newer ADMX files on Server 2008

Question

• I'm receiving the following error (similar to below) when trying to view Administrative templates  in GPMC on a 2008 Server. 

(error code 0x87400001)

Expected one of the following possible element(s), <text>,
    > <decimalTextBox>, <textBox>, <checkBox>, <comboBox>, <dropdownList>,

> <listBox>, but found <multiTextBox> instead. File

its looking for terminal-server-Server admx and amdl files.

As i understand it this is because 2008 can't read later Windows  admx files. Searching found a few ways of solving this

1. Using a later OS with RSAT to view/edit GPOs on the server. (bit of a pain having to find a later client to install RSAT on. (Really Microsoft. this means every client upgrade stops GPO editing from a server)  
    2. Deleting the problem admx from Policy Definitions 
    3. This hotfix . Looks unrelated https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2638957

Which one would be the easiest or correct way of dealing with the above scenario

Thanks 

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:34 AM

Answers

• Those are all valid solutions, although (2) really needs to follow up with "replace the deleted ADMX/ADML with the correct WS2008/WinVista file version". otherwise you'd be missing the relevant template.

If I *had* to fix this issue without the luxury of using a modern OS (and retire that old WS2008 box), I'd apply the hotfix.

You don't have to use a workstation with RSAT - if there's a modern server joined to the domain, you can use the GPMC/GPME tools on that guy.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Marked as answer by Volts Saturday, February 13, 2016 11:10 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2016 10:53 AM

All replies

• Those are all valid solutions, although (2) really needs to follow up with "replace the deleted ADMX/ADML with the correct WS2008/WinVista file version". otherwise you'd be missing the relevant template.

If I *had* to fix this issue without the luxury of using a modern OS (and retire that old WS2008 box), I'd apply the hotfix.

You don't have to use a workstation with RSAT - if there's a modern server joined to the domain, you can use the GPMC/GPME tools on that guy.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Marked as answer by Volts Saturday, February 13, 2016 11:10 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2016 10:53 AM
  • Hi Volts,

I found the article below may be helpful to you, you could have a look.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2009/12/09/windows-7-windows-server-2008-r2-and-the-group-policy-central-store/

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 15, 2016 5:58 AM
  • >  > <listBox>, but found <multiTextBox> instead. File

Yes. The multiTextBox was introduced with Win7/2008R2, Vista/2008 cannot
    handle this value type.

>  1. Using a later OS with RSAT to view/edit GPOs on the server. (bit of

Recommended solution. Can be ran in a VM easily :)

Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:32 PM