Dual booting vista and windows 7, want to remove vista all together RRS feed

• Question

• Alright, this is what's going on.

I installed vista on my harddrive, and then made a partition and installed windows 7 on it.

I no longer want vista, and just want windows 7.

How would I go about deleting vista all together, and just have windows 7?

If I make the windows 7 partition active, it won't boot.

Thanks!
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:17 AM

Answers

• Hey, 

You could try to delete the vista partition using the windows Se7en install DVD. After you do that boot from the DVD again and click 'Repair your computer' in the lower left corner of the Install Windows window it should automatically find and fix it and reboot. If not then click 'automatically repair my computer' (first option). That should fix your problem. if not... You might need to use something like Acronis Disk Director. or a Boot CD to set partition as active and flag it with BOOT.

Hope this helps you out a bit,
    Chris

Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:01 AM

All replies

• Hey, 

You could try to delete the vista partition using the windows Se7en install DVD. After you do that boot from the DVD again and click 'Repair your computer' in the lower left corner of the Install Windows window it should automatically find and fix it and reboot. If not then click 'automatically repair my computer' (first option). That should fix your problem. if not... You might need to use something like Acronis Disk Director. or a Boot CD to set partition as active and flag it with BOOT.

Hope this helps you out a bit,
    Chris

Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:01 AM
  •  

Download/install VistaBootPro to the Windows 7 partition, here http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/

Go to Manage OS Entries > Highlight Vista > Click X > Confirm the deletion. The Vista partition can now be formatted via Disk Management.

Sunday, March 1, 2009 9:11 AM
  • Alright, I installed VistaBootPro.

From what I am getting, vista holds my bootmanger.

So I went into bootpro, system bootloader, and installed the bootloader into my E drive (one with windows 7).

Made the vista drive not active, and I made the windows 7 drive active.

One I rebooted, it said something about could not find bootmang.

So I had to use gparted and flag the vista drive as boot again.

Thanks for all the help
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:14 PM
  • Also, this might help:

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier              {bootmgr}
    device                  partition=C:
    description             Windows Boot Manager
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {globalsettings}
    default                 {current}
    resumeobject            {f6ba2e04-0609-11de-b912-e26911930d0a}
    displayorder            {current}
                            {f6ba2e06-0609-11de-b912-e26911930d0a}
                            {ntldr}
    toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
    timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {current}
    device                  partition=E:
    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description             Windows 7
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence        {f6ba2e06-0609-11de-b912-e26911930d0a}
    recoveryenabled         Yes
    osdevice                partition=E:
    systemroot              \Windows
    resumeobject            {f6ba2e04-0609-11de-b912-e26911930d0a}
    nx                      OptIn
    numproc                 2
    usefirmwarepcisettings  No

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {f6ba2e06-0609-11de-b912-e26911930d0a}
    device                  ramdisk=[E:]\Recovery\f6ba2e06-0609-11de-b912-e26911930d0a\Winre.wim,{f6ba2e07-0609-11de-b912-e26911930d0a}
    path                    \windows\system32\winload.exe
    description             Windows Recovery Environment
    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
    osdevice                ramdisk=[E:]\Recovery\f6ba2e06-0609-11de-b912-e26911930d0a\Winre.wim,{f6ba2e07-0609-11de-b912-e26911930d0a}
    systemroot              \windows
    nx                      OptIn
    detecthal               Yes
    winpe                   Yes

Windows Legacy OS Loader
    ------------------------
    identifier              {ntldr}
    device                  partition=C:
    path                    \ntldr
    description             Earlier Version of Windows

Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:17 PM
  • The easiest way so that you don’t have any future issues is to reinstall Windows 7 and delete all partitions at the time of install and let Windows 7 do its default disk partitioning.  This is especially true if you don’t plan on doing any multiple boot scenarios in the future.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Would that work if I mount it and not install it via a CD or thumb drive?
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:59 PM
  • No.  If you want to do a true clean install, you will have to either use a DVD or a thumb drive as you would effectively nuke your entire hard drive.  If you choose to do that, don’t make the same mistake as so many others have seemed to have done.  Make sure you have a good printout of your key and are sure that you have a good, bootable DVD.

First, cut your DVD and boot with it.  Don’t do a fully clean install yet.  Just install over your old Windows 7 partition.  What this will do is let you know that you have a good, bootable DVD that is in working order with your computer.  Once that is good, then go back and do the full, clean install.

Yes, doing this takes some time, but is a sure method that you don’t end up in a position where everything is gone, you have a bad DVD, and a non-functional computer.  A little extra time on the front end will save you tons of time—and headaches—on the back end.

Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:17 PM
  • I've got two computers, and I know what you mean.

Anyways, what I have right now is vista on one partition and Windows 7 fresh install on the other.

Without using a DVD or thumb drive is there anyway I can delete vista?

I tried to make it not active, but it's my bootmanger/loader so I need it.

Anyway I can change this?

Thanks
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:30 PM
  • That’s what I am trying to tell you.  You are best served by doing a fresh install of Windows 7, deleting all partitions, and letting Windows 7 do its thing.

With the Vista partition being the active partition on which Windows 7 depends to boot, then there is very little you can do.

Yes, you can boot with the Windows DVD and delete the Vista partition from there, but that will leave you in an unbootable and possibly unrecoverable state.  The same goes for any third party partitioning utilities.

In each of these cases, your easiest solution is to do a clean reinstall.

To directly answer your question, “Without using a DVD or thumb drive is there anyway I can delete vista [since it is your bootmanger/loader]?”  No.  Not that I know of at least without making a very big, unbootable mess.

Monday, March 2, 2009 2:59 AM