In Word Old styles not overwritten by new style RRS feed

• General discussion

• At first i apply a style, then when i replace it with another style, the old style is not overwritten. Both the style appears together in its htm file. But only the finally applied style has to be present. Please suggest a solution for this
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hi

For your issue, we would recommend you  Clear formatting then choose another style to check the issue, berfore you want to apply a new style.

Go to File>Option>Advanced>Display>Disable hardware graphic accleration.

Berfore you want to apply a new style, Clear formatting then choose another style to check the issue.

It is also recommended that you upgrade graphics driver.

Regards

Tylor Wang
    TechNet Community Support

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:43 AM
  • Thanks Tylor Wang.

i tried the clear formatting option and "Disable hardware graphic acceleration" option. It didn't work out for me.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:17 AM
  • There might be direct formatting (= formatting not in style) present in the text.

You can clear any direct character formatting from the selection by pressing Ctrl+SpaceBar, and you can clear any direct paragraph formatting by pressing Ctrl+Q.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Friday, October 18, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Thanks, Stefan Blom.

i tried clear formatting option in either ways. but its still not working for me.

The problem is that the style seem to be correct in word file and its display, but in its htm file both the old and new styles are spanned which has to be rectified.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:00 AM
  • OK, you are saying that the problem occurs only after the document has been converted to HTML. That's a different story. Word's capabilitites as an HTML editor are limited.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:06 AM
  • Note also that if character styles have been used, you would need to ensure that the new style spans exactly the same range as the old style - even a single space character remaining in the old style would cause both to be present in the updated file. For this reason, replacing all of one or more ranges spanned by a given Style with another is perhaps best done using Find/Replace.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:25 AM
  • Thank You Stefan & Paul for you suggestions.

But the problem that i said occurs only when there is a change of MS word versions. When the styles were changed in the same version of MS say MS 2010/2013, there is no problem. But when it one style is applied in MS 2010 and changed in MS 2003, both the styles appear in its htm.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:34 AM
  • As Stefan said, "Word's capabilitites as an HTML editor are limited". You may need to save the file in the doc or docx format before editing, close it, re-open it, then re-save in the html format after editing, so that the unwanted Styles are deleted correctly.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:39 AM
  • Hi all,

I have come up with a new understanding with this issue. Regardless of version of MS, if we use trackchanges option while changing the styles, the replaced style is kept in store. Can anyone say whether this is true.

Many Thanks!

Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:33 AM
  • I would expect that to be the case; otherwise you couldn't restore the original Style if you later decided to reject the change.

PS: It would have been helpful if you had previously stated you are using Track Changes. That's not something I expect many people would use for html files.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Edited by macropodMVP Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:11 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:09 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your suggestion. But i have met few cases where even when trackchanges are off, old styles are retained. This ambiguous cases again brings a dilemma whether anything else may be reason.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:29 AM
  • Even if Track Changes is off, if they were on during a past edit and the changes were neither accepted nor rejected, the same effects could be observed.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:21 AM
  • You are right Paul. Thanks for your idea!

I got this issue solved by accepting the format change.

Monday, October 28, 2013 12:00 PM