none
Email Jam in the Journaling Queue

Question

• We have random emails mostly, it looks like just spam that keep getting jammed up in the "Journaling Queue" with the following error;

“Last Error: 400 4.4.7 The server responded with: 550 5.6.2 SMTPSEND.BareLinefeedsAreIllegal; message contains bare linefeeds, which cannot be sent via DATA. The failure was replaced by a retry response because the message was marked for retry if rejected.”

I have followed the "Bare linefeeds clogged" question earlier and I'm continuing to get these messages on a daily basis even after changing the BareLinefeedRejectionEnabled to $true.  These were the connectors that I updated (which are all of them)

• FrontendTransport
      Set-ReceiveConnector "FSRM-SMTP" -BareLinefeedRejectionEnabled $true
      Set-ReceiveConnector "SERVERNAME\Client Frontend SERVERNAME" -BareLinefeedRejectionEnabled $true
      Set-ReceiveConnector -Identity "SERVERNAME\Default Frontend SERVERNAME" -BareLinefeedRejectionEnabled $true
    • HubTransport
      Set-ReceiveConnector "Client Proxy SERVERNAME" -BareLinefeedRejectionEnabled $true
      Set-ReceiveConnector "Internal-Relay" -BareLinefeedRejectionEnabled $true
      Set-ReceiveConnector "SERVERNAME\Default SERVERNAME" -BareLinefeedRejectionEnabled $true
      Set-ReceiveConnector "Outbound Proxy Frontend SERVERNAME" -BareLinefeedRejectionEnabled $true

I have to manually "Remove (without sending NDR)" and I would like to find a resolution so I don't need to monitor and worry that emails are jamming up in this queue anymore.  Any ideas?

EX2013 Std. Ver 15.0 (build 1210.3)

PennyM

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Before going further, I would like to know the following things for troubleshooting

1. How do you configure Journaling in your exchange server?
    2. Do you configure journaling by sending outbound messages to external vendor via Smart host?
    3. I noticed that there is a receive connector "Internal-Relay" on CAS server, is this for journal?

And try to do message tracking on one of failed messages, I experienced this issue on another thread before, if the sender field is blank, then the message will be stuck in "Journaling Queue"

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:56 AM
  • Currently, we are in the process of getting rid of GFI's MailArchiver and moving to Barracuda's Message Archiver.  That being said; GFI journals via a journal mailbox and Barracuda is via a smart host.

The receive connector "Internal-Relay" is for other servers to send email through only.

I'll check on the message tracking for one of these messages.

Penny

PennyM

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:39 PM
  • I searched via EAC->mail flow->delivery reports in the "BMA SVC" mailbox for the subject and it says "There are no items to show in this view."

The following is the "Last Error" in the queue.

Identity: Pebbles\5\98934571663502
    Subject: B2G1 Free Supplies PLUS 1/2 Price Xerox Case Paper
    Internet Message ID: <a455e9ac-d9f2-4cc3-9aa8-a6b2f24c889f@journal.report.generator>
    From Address: <>
    Size (KB): 76
    Message Source Name: Journaling
    Source IP: 255.255.255.255
    SCL: 0
    Date Received: 1/11/2017 6:17:55 AM
    Expiration Time:
    Last Error: 400 4.4.7 The server responded with: 550 5.6.2 SMTPSEND.BareLinefeedsAreIllegal; message contains bare linefeeds, which cannot be sent via DATA. The failure was replaced by a retry response because the message was marked for retry if rejected.
    Queue ID: Pebbles\5
    Recipients:  bma_journaling@bma.int;2;2;[{LRT=};{LED=400 4.4.7 The server responded with: 550 5.6.2 SMTPSEND.BareLinefeedsAreIllegal; message contains bare linefeeds, which cannot be sent via DATA. The failure was replaced by a retry response because the message was marked for retry if rejected.};{FQDN=};{IP=}];0;CN=BMA Journal Contact Send Connector,CN=Connections,CN=Exchange Routing Group (DWBGZMFD01QNBJR),CN=Routing Groups,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=CourthouseEmail,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=CO,DC=CHELAN,DC=WA,DC=US;0

PennyM

• Edited by Penny Miller Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:30 PM removed link
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:29 PM
  • Hi,

Apologize for delay response, I just searched around on this thread. Here are some suggestions for reference.

1.  Enabled Barracuda to support CHUNKING and BINARY MIME. After that,when we will telnet to the smarthostand issue ehlocommand, it should show SMTP verbs CHUNKING and BINARY MIME. In this case exchange server would be able to send this mail using BDAT rather thanDATA.

2.  If BinaryMimecannot be enabled on Remote host then use IIS as Smarthostand then forward mails through it.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:00 AM

•   I face the same issue with O365 trying to send my postfix server (journaling data) and the postfix throws back this error: BareLinefeedsAreIllegal; message contains bare linefeed 

I have a question, if postfix does not advertise BDAT/BinaryMime on the EHLO command, are there siutations where O365 still will try to send the BDAT command?

-Sathish

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 11:12 AM