My Computer and Control panel not accessible after W 7 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I have just upgraded my Vista laptop to W7 home premium 32 bit. itl is working except I cannot open any files or folder including my computer, ny documents and control panel, in fact none of my desktop shortcuts will open I get the following error message in a window entitled Explorer.EXE ....  Server execution failed.  and the following code when trying control panel ::{26EE0668-AOOA-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 2:57 PM

Answers

• Since you have two different issue, in order to avoid confusion and keep track of troubleshooting steps, I suggest your fix your issue one by one. Once the first one is fixed, you can open a new thread to fix your Control Panel issue.

As the "Explorer.exe Server execution failed" issue, it is mostly caused by the incorrect registry setting. If you are not familiar with the registry, I recommend you to enable the Build-in account to test your issue. You can run the following steps to enable it.

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the “Start Search” box .
    2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    4. At the command prompt, type net user administrator/active:yes, and then press ENTER.  
    5. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
    6. Log off the current user account.

Please test if you can open the Windows Explorer now.

In addition, Please export the following registry entries in your older account, then I will help you check them. You can refer to the KB322756 to export the following HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Please compress them before uploading them to your Public folder in your Skydrive.

I hope this can help you.

John
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:07 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:55 AM

All replies

• Since you have two different issue, in order to avoid confusion and keep track of troubleshooting steps, I suggest your fix your issue one by one. Once the first one is fixed, you can open a new thread to fix your Control Panel issue.

As the "Explorer.exe Server execution failed" issue, it is mostly caused by the incorrect registry setting. If you are not familiar with the registry, I recommend you to enable the Build-in account to test your issue. You can run the following steps to enable it.

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the “Start Search” box .
    2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    4. At the command prompt, type net user administrator/active:yes, and then press ENTER.  
    5. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
    6. Log off the current user account.

Please test if you can open the Windows Explorer now.

In addition, Please export the following registry entries in your older account, then I will help you check them. You can refer to the KB322756 to export the following HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Please compress them before uploading them to your Public folder in your Skydrive.

I hope this can help you.

John
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:07 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:55 AM
  • I have followed the steps, why can't I still open it?
    Friday, November 11, 2011 3:28 PM