Deleting Software Packages RRS feed

• Question

•  

I deleted some software packages from SCE 2007 and ran the WSUS server cleanup wizard. But when I look in the UpdateServicesPackages folder, the software package is still there. Do I need to manually delete the folders?
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 7:08 PM

Answers

• When deleting software from SCE console, the package under updateservice folder will not be deleted. You need to delete them manually.

HTH.

Monday, November 3, 2008 1:41 AM

All replies

• I gather that using the WSUS server cleanup does not remove deleted software from the UpdateServicesPackages folder. This is some oversight! Its a pain for me to back track over several months and manually find the GUID for the software package and match it to the relevant folder in the UpdateServicesPackages directory. Is there any other easier way such as query to run against the database to find the existing packages GUID?

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:31 AM
  • When deleting software from SCE console, the package under updateservice folder will not be deleted. You need to delete them manually.

HTH.

Monday, November 3, 2008 1:41 AM
  • Paul,

If you do a search on the UpdateServicesPackages directory for any name of the msi/exe that you packaged and then deleted the file will be returned in the search, at which point you can find the directory that the package resides in. Also, you can use the Data Modified attribute for the directories in the UpdateServicesPackages directory to find packages by approximate date. I have done this for packages (even if there are mulitple instances) bu searching on *software* and then checking the date modified to find my most recent copy of the software package, allowing me to delete the others.

Hope that helps,

Tim

Monday, November 3, 2008 11:22 PM
  •  

Thanks,

The trouble is I don't remebember what software I have have deleted in the past in the console. I would have to go through each directory and check against the software list in the console. This is time consuming and tedious. The SCE team have overlooked a very simple but necessary function.

I was wondering how I can query the database for the GUID of the software published in SCE? If I have this information I can perhaps write a script to check this against the directories and delete the missing ones.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:07 AM
  • I also think it's pretty dumb that the package files are not deleted.

I have to replace Office 2007 unattanded installations from SCE whenever I want to make a change to the adminfile (bad enough), but for SCE to leave the 1.4GB or so of package files behind each time is remiss to say the least.

If this is 'by design', what's the rationale?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:16 AM