none
Can i choose specific barcode number when i creating a protection group? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I'm using DPM 2012 R2 and IBM TS3100 Tape Library. And i have 5 catridges. As you see below DPM 2012 R2 server is show barcode number.

Now i would like to create a protection group for File server. Can i choose specific barcode number when i creating a protection group?

Thank you

Önder DEĞER - Microsoft Azure MVP

MCT

Monday, May 4, 2015 10:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM does not have provisions of specifying which tape slot or barcode is used for a protection group.  By default (when no tape co-location set is created) each protection group will use a separate tape.  The tape label created by default is the name of the Protection Group+Sequence number so once a tape is allocated to a protection group, you can visually know which tape was written to by that PG.  

If you enable tape co-location by making a PSget, then you can allow multiple PG's to use the same tape.  In that case, you can look at the far right column titled Protection Group to see which PG's are using that tape.  The tape label in that case will be the protection group name that first wrote a data set on that tape.  

Michael Jacquet

• Proposed as answer by mjacquet Monday, May 4, 2015 8:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Onder DegerMVP Thursday, May 7, 2015 11:25 AM
    Monday, May 4, 2015 8:28 PM