install Windows Server on +2TB Harddrive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've installed windows 2012 datacenter on my testmachine with 4x2TB in Raid5. So my 'Disk 0' is 5587,9 GB in size. During the installation I can only address 2TB of this size (the rest is shown, but cant do any changes on it). 

So, I created a 150GB partition on the available 2TB to start the initial installation. That worked fine. Now I want to adres the rest of my disk but run into problems:

- 'Disk 0' is a Basic MBR disk, but the option to convert it to Dynamic is grayed out.
    - I tried diskpart, but it tells me I cant convert a larger then 2TB disk

So, I tried the GPT option, but I cant convert the disk while there's a pagefile on it. 

I turn off the pagefile (temporarely), reboot and try again.

In diskpart I type: Convert GPT and get the error: 'The specified disk is not convertible. CDROMs and DVDs are examples of disks that are not convertable'.  (yes, I'm sure I have the correct disk selected).

Any ideas on how to make all my diskspace available?

thanks.

Nico.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

At first, please let me know the disk space status in Disk Management since the Windows Server 2012 is being installed properly on the target server.

At the same time, please run the following command in the Windows PowerShell with evaluated rights:

Get-Disk | Format-Table

Then post back the output result here.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

At first, please let me know the disk space status in Disk Management since the Windows Server 2012 is being installed properly on the target server.

At the same time, please run the following command in the Windows PowerShell with evaluated rights:

Get-Disk | Format-Table

Then post back the output result here.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:52 AM
  • What was the solution here?
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:50 PM