none
Can't delete folder. "Verify folders location and try again" is the response when i try to delete it

Question

• Good day sir. im having problem deleting an old folder in my desktop. when i right click on it, delete, its reply is "Verify the location of the folder and try again. another problem is im not that good in computer language. need to learn like step by step to solve it. :( need help badly. been having this problem for months already. 
    Monday, July 28, 2014 5:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

if you open the windows explorer and navigate to folder:

1. c:\users\%username%\desktop can you see the folder in this view? If so can you delete it?
    2. If this doesn't work you can right click the folder with right mouse button and check the "location" description does it say the folder really is located in your desktop?
    3. Have you try to search the folder-name (just press F3)

Monday, July 28, 2014 5:25 AM
  • yeah sir i've done all of that. i cant upload a screen shot right now. i got replies of ' microsoft needs to verify my account first before i can send any images. evrytime i attemp to delete the folder, it says the item is not found. "This is no longer located in C:\Users|Hunter\Desktop. Verify the items location and try again". thats what it says.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:41 AM
  • if you have deleted the file already, try to reboot, restart or shutdown  your PC.

Check if the file is still there..once you start again your PC

:) But I bet it would be gone already..

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    IT Stuff Quick Bytes

• Edited by cguan Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:46 AM edit
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:45 AM
  • ive done rebooting and restarting my pc many times also. still its there. ive tried the rd /s "\\?\\ as what i have searched in google but still nothing happens. or i maybe doing it the wrong way. i dont know.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:55 AM
  • what file or folder you're trying to delete?

is it a file or folder downloaded from the internet?

Do you have anti-virus?

grab a screen shot put it to sky drive and paste the link here.

or check out this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7731672f-d81c-4b14-b37f-dffd2bcdc884/cannot-delete-file-tried-everything-file-in-use-by-windows-explorer-error?forum=w7itproui

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    IT Stuff Quick Bytes

• Edited by cguan Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:22 AM edit
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:06 AM
  • its a folder downloaded form the net. its a movie folder actually. i cant upload the screen shot coz it says here that they are still verifying my account. yup i have an anti virus and its only Microsoft essentials. but its up to date since a update it every week.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:15 AM
  • the downlaoded folder that i want to delete was previously contains a movie. but i cant delete the folder. the folder's filename contains an extension of ". DMT". its real file name is "Vampire Academy (2014) DVDrip (xvid) NL Subs. DMT ". i cant delete that folder. i even used LockHunter software. still cant delete it
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:03 PM
  • it may be in use, also try to delete .DMT and do it again check processes to see if WMP or another media player is running

If I have answered your question mark as an answer, if I helped you please mark as helpful
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:35 PM
  • In addittion to TOP112 suggestion, try to boot to safe mode.

And delete the folder from there.

Agree with Top, there could be some process running on the background that is using the folder.

Keep us posted..Good luck!

IT Stuff Quick Bytes

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:00 AM
  • 1. Right click on the folder.

2. Select “Add to archive” option (Make sure that you have WinRAR installed on your machine).

3. Tick ‘Delete files after archiving’ check box displayed under ‘Archiving options’ section.

4. Leave all other settings as they are and click ‘OK’ button.

5. .rar will be created on your machine, and your painful folder will be deleted automatically.

6. Now you may delete this *.rar file whenever needed.

7. That’s all 

• Proposed as answer by hyperwong Sunday, September 17, 2017 9:44 PM
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 12:27 PM
  • 1. Right click on the folder.

2. Select “Add to archive” option (Make sure that you have WinRAR installed on your machine).

3. Tick ‘Delete files after archiving’ check box displayed under ‘Archiving options’ section.

4. Leave all other settings as they are and click ‘OK’ button.

5. .rar will be created on your machine, and your painful folder will be deleted automatically.

6. Now you may delete this *.rar file whenever needed.

7. That’s all 

Super useful. My file doesnt even have a file type like .txt, and any other solution (eg. command prompt) does not work. Saved my day.
    Sunday, September 17, 2017 9:49 PM
  • WOW
    You the MAN
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:19 PM
  • Wow, it actually worked! Thanks a lot. Everything else I tried failed to work. :D
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:38 AM
  • wow, thank you , after trying all the proposed solutions above, yours have finally helped me to get rid of an "indestructible" file...THANKS
    Monday, July 30, 2018 1:34 PM