Lync with Mitel 3300 - Design Option Recommendation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Scenario:

Large Existing Mitel 3300 environment, with Central 3300 controller and numerous remote site / country 3300 controllers.  x Thousend Mitel Deskphone users and subset of softphone users.

Calls break out locally to the PSTN at remote sites for local and optimal cost calls and others get routed back to Central controller for send to the PSTN where more cost effective.

Requirement:

Lync 2010 required for a 'subset' of users, located at various remote sites, for voice, IM and Presence, to replace Mitel Softphone for these users.

Design Concept Options:

1/ Install Lync Only at Central site.  Set up a single route for all calls, to be sent to Mitel Controller at Central Site as primary gateway, and then let Mitel Controller handle least cost routing for anything received from Lync for distribution to relevant remote site Mitel Controllers, leveraging existing voice infrastructure.    In case of failure of Central Site Mitel Controller, have secondary single route for all calls from Lync to Backup SIP Mitel Controller gateway.  This would seem the most simple and cost effective for the scenario, unless there are good reasons not to do this...

2/ Install Lync Only at Central site.  Set up multiple routes / PSTN usages for every type of call, for every remote site location and set gateways to Remote Site Mitel Controllers and Central Site Mitel Controllers directly as necessary (effectively mirroring the Mitel configuration within Lync).  This would be more complex and a duplication of effort between systems.

3/ Install Lync at Central site and SBAs at all remote sites, with dedicated Lync breakout at each and use Lync for all optimal cost routing, duplicating existing Mitel routes and plans in Lync.  This would not seem cost-effective for only a 'subset' of users and seems 'overkill' for this scenario, but would clearly bring benefits in terms of isolation and non-dependancy upon the Mitel infrastructure.

Any thoughts on which of these, or indeed any other design option, might be most appropriate for the scenario described would be welcomed...  with pros and cons of anything suggested of course!

Thank you in advance.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:59 PM

All replies

• HI

I think the Option 1 is better and cost saving.I am doing this kind of enironment with one of my customer. And I proposed the same solution; the benifit of the solution is Cost saving because you are using centrilized architecture so other site will not required any hardware software and resource to handle the Infra.

the Pros is other two option i would say you need to Deploy SBA which are kind of costly and need to handle it at branch site, second duplicase of route.

I think the better option could be you can deploy centrlized architecture and also put mediation server at your branch site which will handle local route this way hop count would be less from branch site. Otherwise if LYNC user of branch site need to call PSTN he need to reach the medation server of centriilzed site then will hit back to PSTN. This is going to increase the bandwidth utlization. also if you have media bypass facility in your PBX system then centrlized architecture would be the best option.

Thanks & Regards

Zahoor hakeem | UC solution Architect | MCSE, OCS 2007 R2 Enterprise Voice | Exchagne 2010 | CCNA |CCNP

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:32 AM
  • Hi Zahoor,

Thank you for your reply.  So would a Survivable Branch Server at each Remote Site make sense and am I correct in thinking this won't incur a licensing cost?  This will then increase the complexity of the Lync configuration in terms of gateway definitions etc... but would bring low-cost survivability (just server hardware) and reduced hop-count as you have said.

Please confirm requirements for this topology.

Thank you.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:10 AM
  • HI,

Regarding the SBA you can deploy this Because SBA is itself a Frontend server and mediation pool this will help you localy route the enterprise voice calls to route and also resillency for primary site users.  but If you want to save the cost then best part is go with mediation server local at each site and put rest of the Role at primary site.

Also I dont think so there would be any complexities while configure routes. Because as centrlized FE you can configuring routes as per their respecitve gateways so users who want to call local they FE will normalize and route them it to lcoal PBX but if call will be on primary to branch it the PBX to PBX route will be used.

the best you can go Centriilzed topoly with mediation server for branch sites. this will save ur cost and managability

Thanks & Regards

Zahoor hakeem | UC solution Architect | MCSE, OCS 2007 R2 Enterprise Voice | Exchagne 2010 | CCNA |CCNP

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I am confused.  Survivable Branch Appliance (SBA) and Survivable Branch Server (SBS) are merely the Registration and Mediation components of Lync, not the 'Front-End Server Role', which I understand is the only role that needs a dedicated Lync Server license?  See second Q & A at bottom of this article:

http://tinyurl.com/5r4d3e5

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Survivable Branch Appliance is listed as additional software components are associated with the Lync Server 2010 license (either the Enterprise Edition or the Standard Edition) :  http://lync.microsoft.com/en-us/HowToBuy/Pages/pricing-licensing.aspx

The Lync Licensing Guide (http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9746239) mentions the following:

A server license is required for each physical or virtual instance of the Lync Server 2010 Front End Server Role (required with every Lync deployment). Both Standard and Enterprise editions can be installed and configured in many server roles on a server running Microsoft Windows Server®. Server roles are Lync Server 2010 instances which run a specialized set of functionality, such as audio/video conferencing, edge services, or mediation between Enterprise Voice and the PSTN. All other roles are considered additional software and do not require a license. For these roles, users may run any number of instances directly with the Front End Server role.

I'd recommend reaching out to your TAM/Re-seller to get specific information around licensing requirements. In case you do not have a TAM or a re-seller refer to http://lync.microsoft.com/en-us/HowToBuy/Pages/licensing-options.aspx

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:32 AM