App v configurations using environment variable RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone

How to configure APPV infrastructure using environment Variable?

Any step by step procedure to follow?

How to edit Existing OSD file which is already Sequenced?

Please Help....

Monday, October 8, 2012 8:09 PM

Answers

• That's not quite right.

Variable name is SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER without the percents.

Variable Value is AppVserver01

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by ujwaldatt Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:24 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:02 PM
  • hi znack,

Actually our client wants to rename the existing Appv server ..........we have already hard-coded 65 applications while sequencing.

so we have to change the Host name in all OSD files....

Microsoft has told that Use " Environment variable " it is a best practice. 

so my question is ....,

Anyway we r modifying OSD file, Can we add Environment Variable in OSD file?? or else while sequencing application itself we have to add the environment variable in sequencer???

And whats the best practice to  Rename the production Appv server...??

Please Reply,

Thank you.

• Marked as answer by ujwaldatt Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:41 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Yes. You can add an environment variable in your OSDs. It would likely be easiest to script the change to your existing OSD's, if you have a lot done. It is a best practice to use an environment variables for scenarios such as this, where you have to change the name of the server. The old tried and true variable is SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER but you can call it whatever you want. Set it as a system variable and set the value as the hostname of your management server.

Here's also another similar post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/appvserverandmanagement/thread/07e189f6-83cc-4b3f-a569-8cddc763b892

Here's an example of how the OSD would look:

<CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/Mozilla/Firefox/15.0.1/x86/Mozilla_Firefox_15.0.1_x86.sft" GUID="EA7A636D-510B-4668-97C9-2A5CB7204F03" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="MZFX1501.001\osguard.cp" SIZE="54167772"/>

• Edited by RorymonMVP Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:35 PM Added link to anaswer forum post
    • Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by ujwaldatt Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

1. Do I need to configure "Environment Variables" in App-V Management Server? if Yes, then what is step by step procedure?

No

2. Do I need to configure "Environment Variables" in App-V Sequencer before or while sequencing the application? if Yes, then what is step by step procedure?

No

3. Do I need to configure "Environment Variables" in App-V Client after launching virtual app? if Yes, then what is step by step procedure?

Yes. Set a system variable with the hostname of your App-V Management Server

• Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by ujwaldatt Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:59 PM

All replies

• hi znack,

Actually our client wants to rename the existing Appv server ..........we have already hard-coded 65 applications while sequencing.

so we have to change the Host name in all OSD files....

Microsoft has told that Use " Environment variable " it is a best practice. 

so my question is ....,

Anyway we r modifying OSD file, Can we add Environment Variable in OSD file?? or else while sequencing application itself we have to add the environment variable in sequencer???

And whats the best practice to  Rename the production Appv server...??

Please Reply,

Thank you.

• Marked as answer by ujwaldatt Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:41 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Yes. You can add an environment variable in your OSDs. It would likely be easiest to script the change to your existing OSD's, if you have a lot done. It is a best practice to use an environment variables for scenarios such as this, where you have to change the name of the server. The old tried and true variable is SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER but you can call it whatever you want. Set it as a system variable and set the value as the hostname of your management server.

Here's also another similar post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/appvserverandmanagement/thread/07e189f6-83cc-4b3f-a569-8cddc763b892

Here's an example of how the OSD would look:

<CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/Mozilla/Firefox/15.0.1/x86/Mozilla_Firefox_15.0.1_x86.sft" GUID="EA7A636D-510B-4668-97C9-2A5CB7204F03" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="MZFX1501.001\osguard.cp" SIZE="54167772"/>

• Edited by RorymonMVP Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:35 PM Added link to anaswer forum post
    • Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by ujwaldatt Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Hi Rorymon

Thanks for your reply. As you said in above post my OSD looks like same. I am using default path i.e. %SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER% under OSD..

But, what I wanted to understand is: 

1. Do I need to configure "Environment Variables" in App-V Management Server? if Yes, then what is step by step procedure?

2. Do I need to configure "Environment Variables" in App-V Sequencer before or while sequencing the application? if Yes, then what is step by step procedure?

3. Do I need to configure "Environment Variables" in App-V Client after launching virtual app? if Yes, then what is step by step procedure?

Thanks in advance..

-Ujwal

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Hi,

No

No

Yes. Set a system variable with the hostname of your App-V Management Server

• Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by ujwaldatt Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Hi @Rorymon

I am on my App-V client machine and performing below activities: 

1. Start -> Computer -> (Right Click) -> Properties -> Advance System Settings -> Advanced -> Environment Variables ->

Here I am creating New Variable under "System Variable" option. using below configuration: 

Variable Name: AppVserver01.mydomain.com

Variable Value: %SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%\content

Please verify and let me know if this is correct? or suggest me the correct settings..!

Thanks and regards,

Ujwal..

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:39 PM
  • That's not quite right.

Variable name is SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER without the percents.

Variable Value is AppVserver01

• Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by ujwaldatt Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:24 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Rather than use the SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER variable, use the ApplicationSourceRoot property on the client instead - a more flexible solution that does not require restarting the App-V client service if the value changes:

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:44 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Hi @Rorymon

Thanks for your help and support. It's working for me now with "Environmental Variables". 

I need to fix another issue now. Please find below issue details:

At present We have around 90 computers (Desktop client with Windows 7) which has App-V client Installed. In all these App-V clients we have OLD APP-V Server name added as a Publishing Server. We really don't want to go on each and every computer to change configuration with new server name. 

Please suggest if there is any other way to achieve this, e.g. GOP or something ... 

I tried to achieve the same with "Microsoft Application Virtualization Administrative Template (ADM Template)"  but did not find any GPO which can help me. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=25070 

Thanks in advance,

ujwal

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:51 PM
  • The publishing server name is stored in a registry key - find that key and delete it. In future use a CNAME record instead so that you can just change DNS instead of the clients.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Hi @Aaron.Parker

Thank you for your response.

It would be great help for me, if u can explain the step by step procedure to achieve this in the DNS and also the registry path what u r talking about.

Thanks and regards,

Ujwal.

Friday, October 12, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Hello,

See this article howto add a CNAME-record - if you are using Windows DNS;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732711.aspx

See this article on howto search the registry;

http://tips4pc.com/computer_tips_and_tricks/how_to_search_for_a_registry_key.htm

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, October 12, 2012 3:27 PM