Outlook 2013 personal email folders disappear RRS feed

• Question

• My emails are filed in a number of folders and sub folders. Some emails, but not all suddenly disappear from a sub folder. In addition some sub folders have just vanished. Today is the 2nd time it's happened this year. Prior to this I've never had this problem.

I've tried to import these lost folders and sub folders from a back up, but they just continue to disappear.

I've tried some of the suggestions posted on this site, but nothing works.

Got thousands of emails, both work related and personal. Desperately need them back!

Is this a bug with Outlook?

Please help, many thanks 

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:28 AM

All replies

• Hi surfbunny,

>> Today is the 2nd time it's happened this year. Prior to this I've never had this problem.

Have you made any changes to windows or Office before this issue occur?

>>Some emails, but not all suddenly disappear from a sub folder.

What's your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

Can you see disappeared emails on the web mail? We can also search the whole mailbox to see if you can find it.

Sometimes, emails may become invisible by a view filter. To check this, please go to problematic folder and click View > Reset View.

>> In addition, some sub folders have just vanished.

Normally, to restore missing folders, we can open Outlook with /resetfolders command switch. This helps restores missing folders for the default delivery location:

Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /resetfolders and then press Enter.

Outlook won’t delete your folders and emails. As it occurs randomly, it’s hard to tell the root cause. Please remember to backup mailbox regularly to avoid data loss.

We can also create a new profile in case it is related to personal settings.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 8:18 AM
  • Hi Perry,

I upgraded my computer (hardware and Windows 10) in June 2018, but continued with Office 2013. The problem only started occurring in April this year.

My account is IMAP.

I tried the reset folders but can't find them back. In addition they have also disappeared from webmail.

In addition i noticed there are 5,223 sync issues - message is always "error synchronizing folder. Did this cause the problem?

Appreciate your help.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

Do you see “this computer only” in these folders’ name? If yes, it’s by design that you cannot see them in the web mail. If not, then it should not be a view setting issue.

>>In addition i noticed there are 5,223 sync issues - message is always "error synchronizing folder. Did this cause the problem?

Are these errors related with these missing folders? You can paste here for further research.

Please also have a look at Event Viewer when the issue occurs and see if any fault module will be recorded there.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, September 5, 2019 6:54 AM
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 6:53 AM
  • Hi Perry,

The Sync Issues folder says "this computer only".

The errors seems to all be related to the missing folders and emails. I haven't gone through every single message. Here is a part copy from one of the messages.

Many thanks for your help. Hope you can help me resolve this problem.

13:11:40 Synchronizer Version 15.0.5125.1000

13:11:40 Synchronizing Mailbox 'surfbunny@netvigator.com'

13:11:40 Synchronizing local changes in folder 'HKMA'

13:11:40 Error synchronizing message 'Re: HKMA/UOG MBA - Invitation to be the project supervisors for '

13:11:40                                 [8004DF03-0-0-322]

13:11:40 Error synchronizing message 'BUSI 1604 - new module handbook - feedbacks!'

13:11:40 Error synchronizing message 'RE: BUSI 1604 - new module handbook - feedbacks!'

13:11:40 Error synchronizing message 'Re: BUSI 1604 - new module handbook - feedbacks!'

13:11:40 Error synchronizing message 'Resit Coursework marking: INDU1130 International Human Resource '

13:11:40 Error synchronizing message 'Re: Resit Coursework marking: INDU1130 International Human Resou'

13:11:41 Error synchronizing message 'Re: UOG MBA - BUSI 1359 Dissertation for Marking (Fong Chi Wai R'

13:11:41                                 [800CCC0F-0-0-322]

Thursday, September 5, 2019 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any errors recorded in Event Viewer?

I did some research and this issue could be related with folder properties. Please follow the steps below to check this:

1. Download MFCMAPI from its official project page on GitHub.

• When you use a 32-bit version, choose MFCMAPI.exe
    • When you use a 64-bit version, choose MFCMAPI.exe.x64

2. Unzip the downloaded file and from the extracted folder double click on mfcmapi.exe.

3. Dismiss the startup screen.

4. Logon via; Session-> Logon…

5. Select the mail profile.

6. Double click your mailbox.

7. Expand: Root Container or Root Mailbox.

8. Depending on your account configuration expand the following folder:

• IPM_SUBTREE
    • Top of Outlook data file
    • Top of Personal Folders
    • Top of Information Store

9. Select the folder that you wish to fix.

10. Double click on the PR_CONTAINER_CLASS property.

11. Change the IPF.Imap value into IPF.Note.

12. Click OK.

13. Repeat step 9 to 12 for any other folders that you wish to fix.

Besides, you can also check "Unhide a folder" section to see if these folders are hidden.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Please check this on your side.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, September 6, 2019 8:24 AM
  • Thanks Perry,

I'll give it a try. 

Where is the Event Viewer? I can't seem to find this on my Outlook.

Thanks,

Wilma

Friday, September 6, 2019 9:59 AM
  • Oh by the way, the entire contents of my address book disappeared as well!
    Friday, September 6, 2019 10:03 AM
  • Hi Perry

Tried to use the MFCMAPI, but there was no PR_CONTAINER_CLASS. In addition Outlook created extra contacts, calendar, journal, notes and task folders, all marked this computer only.

All my contacts (I think) are in the contacts (this computer only) folder but they don't show up when i try and send an email.

Would the best solution be to uninstall Office and start again?

Many thank

Sunday, September 8, 2019 11:51 PM
  • Hi,

IMAP account doesn't support sync calendar, contacts and tasks. This should be normal that these folders are marked this computer only.

Event Viewer is a windows app. You can search it from Start.

Considering your situation, please back up whole mailbox to avoid future data losing. After backup, create a new profile and then re-configure your IMAP account.

In addition, we can also try opening Outlook in safe mode and then import from backup PST file again to see the results.

To do this, exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and then press Enter.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, September 9, 2019 7:55 AM
  • Thanks Perry

Tech support people at the computer store advised me to upgrade Office as there's probably some incompatible issues between Office 2013 and Windows 10. He said that there's been cases of people losing their entire mailbox. So i upgraded Office. Luckily I've got backups of my mailbox from before the time all these problems happened, so haven't lost too much.

Thanks again for all your help.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:08 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:08 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:56 AM
  • Thanks Perry

Tech support people at the computer store advised me to upgrade Office as there's probably some incompatible issues between Office 2013 and Windows 10. He said that there's been cases of people losing their entire mailbox. So i upgraded Office. Luckily I've got backups of my mailbox from before the time all these problems happened, so haven't lost too much.

Thanks again for all your help.

So glad to see that you've find a way to fix this. If issue doesn't come back, I'd like to recommend you mark your reply as answer to close off this thread. If you have further concern, you can also post back.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 4:19 AM
  • Hi Surfbunny,

Does issue come back?

If not, I'd like to recommend you mark your reply as answer to close off this thread. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Perry

Monday, September 16, 2019 7:57 AM