none
MIM Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Need Suggestion.

We are currently using FIM 2010 R2 ver 4.1.3613 SSPR. We want to upgrade our environment to MIM 2016.

I want to know about the licencing of MIM 2016. Can we use the same licence of FIM 2010 R2 in MIM 2016.

Regards,

Suman

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

there are licensing changes for FIM since April 2015:

FIM Server 2010 R2 licenses will not be available anymore on the price lists.

Windows Server license (Standard & Datacenter) will include FIM server entitlement.

FIM / MIM is using a user CAL. The FIM server will no longer be sold as a separate license, but instead Windows Server licenses will allow customers to install the FIM Server software. Since FIM users already required a Windows Server CAL or equivalent to access FIM running on Windows Server, no additional Windows Server CALs (or Windows Server External Connector) will be required. Still it’s important to understand that you still need FIM/MIM CALs to manage identities with FIM/MIM (unless you only use the FIM/MIM Sync).

thanks

diramoh

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Hi Diramoh,

Thank you for the reply.

So my understanding is below:

1. If users are using WIndows machine, no need of additional licence to access FIM.

2. AS FIM/ MIM is supporting users CALs now, So exiting FIM users CALS will work for the new MIM 2016.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Regards,

SUman

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:16 PM
  • Hi Suman,

As far as I understand it, your windows server license covers any installation of the sync service only.  If you export users to the MIM service/portal then you need a MIM CAL for each of those users (or if they're external to your organisation you can purchase a single external connector which will cover them all).  I think you're covered if you purchased a FIM CAL previously, but don't mistake a CAL for any other product as being adequate.

Thanks,

Paul

• Edited by Paul Green Wednesday, September 21, 2016 4:22 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 4:21 PM
  • Hi Suman,

if you have active SA for your FIM CALs than you can upgrade free to MIM 2016 CALs. however, without SA you Need to purchase MIM CALs that allowed you Access to MIM features on Windows Server.

MIM 2016 is supported on Windows Server 2012 R2 (in contrast to FIM 2010 R2).

thanks

diramoh

Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:49 AM
  • HI Peter and Diramoh,

Thanks for the reply.:)

Regards,

Suman

Thursday, September 22, 2016 12:42 PM