Quota management Delegation - Windows 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does anybody know whether you can delegate Quota Management tasks (Windows 2008 R2 AD environment) to non administrative users.  If not, is there any good third party software for peforming this task ?

Thanks.

Monday, April 4, 2011 1:18 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

I search around the Internet but cannot find any third party software that can offers this Quota delegation functionality. For Windows OS, the delegation of quota management requires lower level code works in NTFS file system level. I guess one possibility is to submit an Design Change Request to Microsoft Product team.

Hope this functionality will be appear in next release of Windows.

Scorpio

TechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup | MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Administrator | Microsoft Infrastructure Consultant | Solution Architect
    • Proposed as answer by Scorprio_Milo Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by SimonMurray Thursday, April 7, 2011 10:22 AM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:56 AM

All replies

• Hi SimonMurray,

Unfortunately it isn't possible for us to delegate FSRM task (ex. Quota Management and File Screening management ) to non-administrative users in Windows Server 2008 R2. This is beacause that to manage and configure file quota 's and file screens high level permissions are required to access the file system.

It is possible to manage FSRM remotely but there are some prerequisites we must have in place

1. The remote computer must have File Server Resource Manager installed.
    2. Enable the Remote File Server Resource Manager Management exceptions on the remote computer by using Windows Firewall.
    3. You must be logged on to the local computer with an account that is a member of the Administrators group on the remote computer.

If chosen the configured account will have full access to FSRM.

Hope it helps.

Scorpio

TechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup | MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Administrator | Microsoft Infrastructure Consultant | Solution Architect
    • Proposed as answer by Scorprio_Milo Monday, April 4, 2011 3:25 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the information, but do you know whether any third party software offers this functionality (i.e. delegation)

Regards

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:55 AM
  • Hi there,

I search around the Internet but cannot find any third party software that can offers this Quota delegation functionality. For Windows OS, the delegation of quota management requires lower level code works in NTFS file system level. I guess one possibility is to submit an Design Change Request to Microsoft Product team.

Hope this functionality will be appear in next release of Windows.

Scorpio

• Proposed as answer by Scorprio_Milo Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by SimonMurray Thursday, April 7, 2011 10:22 AM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:56 AM
  • Thanks for your help
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Hi Scorpio,

In my scenario,

Shares are being created by the persons(non-administrators) in the helpdesk team remotely in the file servers.

How to allow them to set the quota for the newly created share  remotely ?

In other terms, who will have the rights to modify quota.....

and I have posted the same question in another location too earlier  as below.....I am reposting here since this post is the exact issue of the one which is being faced by me now

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/35d7a5ec-5f32-4a38-9e2e-770c7fedd9e6/setting-quota-for-share-by-a-nonadministrator-in-windows-2008-r2-server?forum=winserverfiles&prof=required

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks & Regards S.Swaminathan Live & let others live!!!

• Edited by TECHSHAN Monday, July 6, 2015 3:08 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 3:06 PM