none
Drivers set variable and condition to DriverGroup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I would like to setup some different variables DriverGroup that have conditions between them, specially between knowed and unknowed machines.

Example:

DriverGroup001=7\%MAKE%\%MODEL%    (YES or NO) if no -> next

DriverGroup001=7\LENOVO\%PRODUCTVERSION% (YES or NO) if no -> next

DriverGroup001=7\%ARCHITECTURE%\generic (YES or NO)

In fact, something like a "if - else- elseif"

I'm not sure how to add a function like that in MDT.

Do I need to add DriverApplied=NO in customsettings.ini and then how do I use that inside my task sequence.  

Thanks

Thursday, November 27, 2014 5:48 PM

Answers

• I wouldn't worry about separating the generic with the make/model specific stuff:

[Settings]
    Priority=Make,Default,Other
    Properties=MyMakeModel

[Default]
    MyMakeModel=%Model%

[Other]
    DriverGroup001=7\%ARCHITECTURE%\generic
    DriverGroup002=7\%MAKE%\%MyMakeModel%

[LENOVO]
    MyMakeModel=%MODEL%

Seems to work for me. Otherwise, you can use an UserExit.vbs script.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, December 4, 2014 1:51 AM

All replies

• I wouldn't worry about separating the generic with the make/model specific stuff:

[Settings]
    Priority=Make,Default,Other
    Properties=MyMakeModel

[Default]
    MyMakeModel=%Model%

[Other]
    DriverGroup001=7\%ARCHITECTURE%\generic
    DriverGroup002=7\%MAKE%\%MyMakeModel%

[LENOVO]
    MyMakeModel=%MODEL%

Seems to work for me. Otherwise, you can use an UserExit.vbs script.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, December 4, 2014 1:51 AM
  • Hello, 

it works but it's messy and this is why I want some changes.

Your solution is what's I used until now.

There are problems with that solution. 

Example : idt sound drivers don't work. Synaptic drivers on every machine ... 

I took a look at userexit.vbs script from my understanding it's just a better way of detecting make and model but in case of LENOVO you still need to maintain some kind of database in your script. 

My goal is to have a better driver detection and a simple management of MDT share. I never have the time to do something clean, it's always quick look and go. My boss doesn't understand MDT. For him ... I'm just loosing time instead installing machine.

I tried the MDT help but it doesn't help much. I need to understand how to pass and bool to the task.

Then, I will have case 1 : %make%/%model% : answer == NO

next                   case 2 : LENOVO/%productversion% : answer == NO

then  case 3 : generic : answer == YES 

I've read that Lenovo can be detected via %make%/%productversion% as for Hewlett-Packard I've setup an application task with ssm. That works very well since it can play with both home and professional computers.

Thanks. Best regards. 

Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:41 AM
  • Have you considered intergrating ThinInstaller as part of the imaging process?

We do it and works great, we only worry about the primary drivers NIC,MSD for booting the machine. The rest is handled through thinInstaller.

Plus gives you a process to update your existing machine drivers from a controlled database.

here's the pdf explaining the details  it was wrtten for MDT2010 but the process is still the same in MDT2013

http://download.lenovo.com/luc/dml/DML_UR_TI_MDT_2.0.pdf

also general guide to thininstaller

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/tvsu4_mst_en.pdf

couple tips we found

1) dont update bios during imaging (should be obvious but you know.....)

2) use the priority options to manage the packages help you control when they are installed.

for example we set all items with driver in the name as critical.  Applications that are needed and run silently properly we set to recommended. Finally addtional nice to have utilities or Items that won't run silently properly are set to optional.

This way we can use a command line to install critical or recommended updates but not optional during imaging process. Then the techs know to run thininstaller after the image process to update bios and other items

3) we found having the thininstaller already part of base image and the configuration file already setup helps.

4) make sure you set permissions on the folder holding all the updates correctly. we went with adding a folder to DFS and granting all authenicated users access.

Don't be surprised if you occasionally find packages they say should run silently that dont.

Hope this helps

Sunday, December 7, 2014 3:40 PM
  • Hello, 

I will try to use thin installer for Lenovos as I see it does the same job as ssm for HP.

But I still need know machines and unknown machines DriverGroup001.

I've so many machines per day not inside my make/model tree. I can only set new machines we sell.

Now it's slow time at work so I've got the time to put new things inside my MDT but usually I don't even have two minutes to change something. 

Thanks.

Sunday, December 7, 2014 7:38 PM