What DB's to backup for a restore RRS feed

• Question

• The SQLServer that supports SharePoint is corrupted. The DBs are OK.  What DB's do i need to backup so I can delete & then rebuild the VM SQLServer?

Thanks

John Lenz

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 3:05 PM

Answers

• Here is where I am.

rebuilt the serer2012R2 standard as a Hyper-V system, Same computers name & IP address. 

Installed SQLServer 2012SP1 and named the server & instance the same as before.

re-loaded all the DBs from Nova Backup.

Tailored SQL per SharePoint tuning guide.

Brought SharePoint up but does not connect to SQLServer. Of course SID is different. Networking is both TCP & named pipes.

How do I re-connect SharePoint to its SQL server?

John Lenz

• Marked as answer by JohnLenz Monday, May 7, 2018 6:17 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 3:42 AM

All replies

• You need to restore all the databases, and on SharePoint server create alias and point to the new Sql server. 

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -Waqas Sarwar(MVP) Blog: http://krossfarm.com

• Proposed as answer by Ahmed Madany Tuesday, April 3, 2018 4:49 PM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2018 4:02 PM
  • Hi John,

Is there any update?

I agree with Sarvar's reply, you can also check the posts below to get more information about rebuild a SharePoint farm through existing databases.

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/22944/configure-a-new-sharepoint-install-with-existing-databases

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/restore-a-farm#using-sql-server-tools-to-restore-a-farm

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 1:44 AM
  • Hi

You can rebuild your new farm at first.

Then create another web application.

Backup and restore WSS_Content_xxxx Database to new farm.

Mount the DB to new web application by powershell.

Mount-SPContentDatabase -Name <DatabaseName> -DatabaseServer <ServerName> -WebApplication <URL> [-Updateuserexperience]

Backup the files in IIS path such as below path:

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80

Deploy all solution into new farm.

I think your site will run normally.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    Linyu - SharePoint Engineer
    QQ Group: 72637444

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 1:58 AM
  • I am in a GoLive at a client site for most of the week. I have rebuilt the Server and next have to install SQLServer2012. I'll let you know when the SQLServer is rebuilt.

Thanks for your patience

John Lenz

Friday, April 13, 2018 4:24 PM
  • Hi John,

Looking forward to your feedback.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 16, 2018 2:23 AM
  • Here is where I am.

rebuilt the serer2012R2 standard as a Hyper-V system, Same computers name & IP address. 

Installed SQLServer 2012SP1 and named the server & instance the same as before.

re-loaded all the DBs from Nova Backup.

Tailored SQL per SharePoint tuning guide.

Brought SharePoint up but does not connect to SQLServer. Of course SID is different. Networking is both TCP & named pipes.

How do I re-connect SharePoint to its SQL server?

John Lenz

• Marked as answer by JohnLenz Monday, May 7, 2018 6:17 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 3:42 AM