Disable "Lync Call" and force PSTN dialing in Lync client? RRS feed

• Question

• For a technical requirement with a certain environment I need to force all users to dial each other via PSTN even when the number is found to be an internal number. Is there a way to force all calls to occur via PSTN gateway? Thanks for any info.
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:11 PM

Answers

• There is a registry setting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator\TelephonyMode

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator\TelephonyMode

which offers some control but I don't this is applicable to your situation. However, you could use CAC to force PSTN re-route in certain situations but since CAC is based on the concept of a site you would not be able to restrict P2P audio calls within the site. So I think you might be able to get some level of control but not to the level you need. You might want to take a look at Unify Square they have a product called Power Route which may work for you.

• Proposed as answer by ALANMAD Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by soybased Thursday, July 5, 2012 11:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Sunday, July 8, 2012 1:38 PM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Hi,

You can use Set-CsclientPolicy EnableVoipCallDefault $ture to replace Lync call with Voip call as the default call. But you can not disable the lync call option. And this policy setting only affects the initial state of the click-to-call feature. If the user modifies the value of the click-to-call setting then the user-selected value will override this policy setting.

Looks like it is not possible to force the calls via pstn network when the called number is a internal number. Maybe some three party tools can do it and you can try to use the Lync Server SDK to customize this feature.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by soybased Friday, July 6, 2012 3:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by soybased Friday, July 6, 2012 3:24 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2012 9:56 AM
  • Ok well, I guess there is no possible way to achieve this then without some third party stuff.
    • Marked as answer by soybased Friday, July 6, 2012 4:15 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2012 4:15 PM

All replies

• There is a registry setting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator\TelephonyMode

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator\TelephonyMode

which offers some control but I don't this is applicable to your situation. However, you could use CAC to force PSTN re-route in certain situations but since CAC is based on the concept of a site you would not be able to restrict P2P audio calls within the site. So I think you might be able to get some level of control but not to the level you need. You might want to take a look at Unify Square they have a product called Power Route which may work for you.

• Proposed as answer by ALANMAD Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by soybased Thursday, July 5, 2012 11:53 PM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Well that stinks, I don't really want to go buying some additional stuff in order to do this.
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:41 PM
  • Hi,

You can use Set-CsclientPolicy EnableVoipCallDefault $ture to replace Lync call with Voip call as the default call. But you can not disable the lync call option. And this policy setting only affects the initial state of the click-to-call feature. If the user modifies the value of the click-to-call setting then the user-selected value will override this policy setting.

Looks like it is not possible to force the calls via pstn network when the called number is a internal number. Maybe some three party tools can do it and you can try to use the Lync Server SDK to customize this feature.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by soybased Friday, July 6, 2012 3:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by soybased Friday, July 6, 2012 3:24 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2012 9:56 AM
  • Actually EnableVOIPCallDefault seems to have the opposite effect. Setting this to true makes the default behavior to use Lync Call (even if the user is offline), which is not what I want. I want the defualt behavior to be to dial the phone number, not use Lync call.
    • Edited by soybased Friday, July 6, 2012 3:25 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Another questions comes from this... If I manually dial an internal number, will it even hit the gateway?

Friday, July 6, 2012 3:39 PM
  • No it should not.
    Friday, July 6, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Ok well, I guess there is no possible way to achieve this then without some third party stuff.
    • Marked as answer by soybased Friday, July 6, 2012 4:15 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Can you describe the exact scenario you are trying to acheive so that we may try to work on a solution with you.  I am at a loss as to why you would want internal numbers to go to the gateway and incur a toll charge to be placed.  Please elaborate and we may be able to help with this.

Robert "Ben" Stewart BS, GIS, MCITP, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging

• Proposed as answer by Neerajj Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:22 PM
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:11 AM
  • A little late to this thread - but have a look at the ms-skip-rnl tag you can add to a tel URI - its used to force a call to not do a reverse lookup and send the call to the Gateway

http://mattellis.me/lync-2013-cucm-ms-skip-rnl-sip-uri-dialling/

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:07 PM