Why is there a 30-day grace period? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Since a customer has to purchase a copy of Windows to evaluate the operating system, there is no "evaluation" in the true sense of the word. I am wondering why Microsoft has a 30-day evaluation period in place to activate Windows?

Even if the customer activates Windows within the 30-days and chooses to return the software, Microsoft would block the product key (in theory) to prevent future use of it. I'm just not sure what purpose the grace period serves exactly.

Thank you for the clarification! :)
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 11:08 PM

Answers

• As far as the exact technical answer, I don't know... but here is part of what I have come across in my dealings...

If you notice when you install Windows 7 (other O/S'es too) it has a 3-Day grace before auto-activation even takes place. This is so that you can install all the devices, make sure you have all the correct drivers loaded, update any BIOS / Firmware and make any major hardware changes before activation occurs.

Reason behind this logic (my opinion only) is because Windows knows what hardware you have installed, and puts certain values on each piece of hardware and how it relates to the system (ie: so that you don't install on 1 hard drive and activate, then clone the HD 1000 times and give it to everyone). Once you have changed too many things or change specific items, you will then fall out of tolerance and it will prompt you to re-activate Windows.

I am not from the Activation Group and this is just my educated opinions above. (Wanted to add the extra disclaimer on this one)

Thanks,

Tanner --- This is posted as-is and has no warranty or guarantee ---
    Friday, February 5, 2010 8:14 AM

All replies

•  Hi,
    Last time I also have this question but later I think about it maybe is for customer to test out the hardware after 30 day if every things OK than customer Activate it. Maybe there is some other purpose let the Moderators tell us. 
    Hope you find the info useful
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 11:27 PM
  • As far as the exact technical answer, I don't know... but here is part of what I have come across in my dealings...

If you notice when you install Windows 7 (other O/S'es too) it has a 3-Day grace before auto-activation even takes place. This is so that you can install all the devices, make sure you have all the correct drivers loaded, update any BIOS / Firmware and make any major hardware changes before activation occurs.

Reason behind this logic (my opinion only) is because Windows knows what hardware you have installed, and puts certain values on each piece of hardware and how it relates to the system (ie: so that you don't install on 1 hard drive and activate, then clone the HD 1000 times and give it to everyone). Once you have changed too many things or change specific items, you will then fall out of tolerance and it will prompt you to re-activate Windows.

I am not from the Activation Group and this is just my educated opinions above. (Wanted to add the extra disclaimer on this one)

Thanks,

Tanner --- This is posted as-is and has no warranty or guarantee ---
    Friday, February 5, 2010 8:14 AM