none
Project client over WAN RRS feed

• Question

• We have an old customer that we due to capability problems upgraded from MS Project Server 2003 to PS2010 last year. The customer was shortly after acquired by a large company and their IT installations where afterwards merged and moved into the new company.

The infrastructure in the new company, who operates globally consists of WAN connected sites and we know for a fact that the connection between the datacenter and the sites is running on a gigabit link with around 14 ms latency.

Users have for different reasons the need to store project plans on a file share, but doing so, we can observe a really bad load of the project file into the Project client. A 20Mb file takes app. 20-30 min to load.

We have found several recommendations regarding the use of Project over a WAN. None of these where official Microsoft recommendations, so we are looking for that and also if anybody knows whether Microsoft is working on a solution or even better is there is a non-published hotfix that could remedy the situation to some extent.

Monday, February 11, 2013 9:45 AM

All replies

• Sorry, but I very much doubt that Microsoft will ever work on a solution for this.  Keeping projects on a file share can result in file corruption.  I'm afraid there is no good news for your customer regarding Project and WAN.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:54 PM
  • I have worked on a project server implementation which was located in Europe, and accessed from N America and Asia.  We found that this was IT's 1st real global solution, and much of the speed issues were due to authentication hops - this was solved by ensuring that AD was set up correctly, with global catalogue servers local to the Project Server.  Ulitmately though, as Scotty once said "You canna change the laws of physics".

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Hello Ben,

Does Project 2010 supports Citrix published applications or Citrix desktops for such deployments?

Thank you,

Ravi

Regards, Ravi.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:05 AM
  • Hi Ravi, yes it does, in just the same way that the rest of the Office Applications do - in this instance there is nothing special about project.  The only issue I have seen in relation to this is opening a project, in Project, directly from the Open Project in Project Pro button on the PWA ribbon.  If you are browsing to PWA via your fat client, then the browser cannot find a local installation of Project.  Training usually gets around this problem.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:11 AM