none
Advice setting up new SharePoint template for projects

Question

• Hi,

I am setting up a template that will be used everytime my company launch a new project. I would like to get some feedback from administrators that has some experience in this.

Each project is created as a subsite.

Each subsite has a document library. All internal users can access this library. External sharing is needed but external users should only be able to access 2 subfolders in the library. 

External users must be notified when changes are made in the folders they have access to. In order to do this it seems to me that i must grant the users access to the library and then break intheriance so that the external users only have access to the 2 subfolders that they are allowed to access.

Alternatively I have thought about putting the files that should be accessed by external users in a seperate library?

I would like only to share the library - or subfolders with the external users. If possible I would like not to share the subsite. But this seems that the alert/notifications are "broken" if the user do not have access at subsite level. 

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Monday, May 1, 2017 3:34 PM

All replies

• Use a separate library. Mixing internal and external based on folders is a recipe for trouble.

Depending on the number of projects you could be looking at a very complicated permission structure. It's more common to have one site collection per project for this reason. You used to have scaling concerns too but that's less of an issue than management complexity in O365.

Monday, May 1, 2017 8:47 PM