System email management RRS feed

• Question

• For my IT counterparts, how does your organization deal with the large influx of system generated emails created by IT systems? I work for a global company and we get large amounts of emails for things like low disk space, outages, task approval requests, etc. Some of these require no followup and are for awareness only. We get so many that many people are now becoming blind to their email unless they want to sift through hundreds of emails per day. I have heard of folks that have hundreds and even thousands of unread email. Important emails go unread and things sometimes fall through the cracks. I am looking for any advice on what others have implemented so that we can start to correct our behavior.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:17 PM

All replies

• Inbox Rules!

Though to be honest, if those alerts have no bearing on my Messaging Infrastructure, I filter them straight to Deleted Items :)

My Blog: http://exchangeitup.blogspot.com My Twitter: http://twitter.com/ExchangeITup

Thursday, May 3, 2018 9:27 PM
  • If these alerts are not important to the general users I would do the following.

1. Create a distribution group and have the users in it

2. Create a Transport rule in Exchange to drop emails sent to the DG in point 1 that meet the criteria

This will mean that users will not receive any i.e. SCOM alerts.

My question is why are users receiving IT system alerts in the first place? Why not send it to a particular group.

Friday, May 4, 2018 4:47 AM
  • Hi Gray,

Agree with Michael. If these system generated emails are not useful for the regular users, why send these messages directly to them ? We can use transport rule to delete or redirect the inessential alerts, and just leave the important ones.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 4, 2018 8:25 AM
  • Thanks for the replies.  My org has over 70,000 users and over 40,000 devices.  We do send out notifications to PDL's, the problem is that over time, the groups have become nested in other groups and management does not want to turn any thing off in fear of missing something.  I am a part of a group that has several service lanes in it and we all receive the same alerts for SCCM, Exchange, Backups, Software request issues, Print, and hardware issues.  Because people come and go, the PDL's are not job specific and it is up to the individual team to make sure they are reading their email and take care of the alerts.  Due to the large volume of emails that come in, plus SPAM and corporate messages, it is easy for some to fall behind in their email management, especially if someone goes on vacation.
    Friday, May 4, 2018 11:53 AM
  • Then this will be the org's policy and not technical related issue.
    • Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Wednesday, May 9, 2018 1:46 AM
    Monday, May 7, 2018 7:01 AM