none
Best Practises for Integrating Schedules in Project Online RRS feed

• Question

• My organization has begun a program that has quite a few projects within it. We are currently using MS Project Pro 2016 and Project Online to manage these projects. Does anyone have any best practises, tips or know or any resources that will help us integrate our project schedules effectively?

Thanks!

Friday, April 29, 2016 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hi EPM Admin,

This could be a full day discussion. Not knowing your context, it is quite tricky to give an exhaustive reply.

Generally at program level, the need is about reporting and consolidation, thus I often propose a "program" project custom field in order to attach all subprojects together. It also depends on the program gouvernance, you might need to create a dedicated EPT for specific PDP/custom fields in order to ensure that all subprojects use the exact same matrix and follow the same program management path.

Also think about using a master project if needed. Deliverables/dependencies might also support program management.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

• Marked as answer by EPM Admin Wednesday, May 4, 2016 7:28 PM
    Saturday, April 30, 2016 6:54 AM
  • Agree with the other reply, very little information to go on here but I would not jump to using Master Projects unless absolutely necessary. Look at creating custom fields to "group" your projects and then views / reports can summarize this information.

Stephen T. O'Connor Jr., PMP soconnorjr@gmail.com

Sunday, May 1, 2016 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi EPM Admin,

This could be a full day discussion. Not knowing your context, it is quite tricky to give an exhaustive reply.

Generally at program level, the need is about reporting and consolidation, thus I often propose a "program" project custom field in order to attach all subprojects together. It also depends on the program gouvernance, you might need to create a dedicated EPT for specific PDP/custom fields in order to ensure that all subprojects use the exact same matrix and follow the same program management path.

Also think about using a master project if needed. Deliverables/dependencies might also support program management.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Saturday, April 30, 2016 6:54 AM
  • Agree with the other reply, very little information to go on here but I would not jump to using Master Projects unless absolutely necessary. Look at creating custom fields to "group" your projects and then views / reports can summarize this information.

Stephen T. O'Connor Jr., PMP soconnorjr@gmail.com

Sunday, May 1, 2016 1:41 PM
  • We are a regulatory body that licenses all alcohol, gaming and horse racing establishments within the province of Ontario and we are implementing a completely new software system that will replace all our current licensing, investigating and compliance systems. So this implementation is split up into various projects such as Business Process Re-Engineering, a 4 phased approach to implementation, organizational design and change management. on top of these various project being managed by different project managers we also have various vendors working with us on the different components to this program.

To your point of at the program level, the need is about reporting and consolidating, that is exactly what we are looking to achieve. What are aren't quite sure about is how can we use MS Project Professional (2016) and Project Online to consolidate all this information from each project and develop reports.

Do you know of any resources I can refer to that can give me more information on this exercise?

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 7:55 PM