none
OS upgrades and fresh installations RRS feed

• Question

• Requirements as follows:

Upgrade Windows 7 machines to Windows 10 (Retain user settings using USMT). A task sequence to be deployed to machines that are online and offline

Fresh install of Windows 10 to new machines (Unknown computers in ConfigMgr database)

I'm guessing the TS would need to be capable of the following:

• If the Windows 7 machine is online then user settings should be copied to the user state migration point then restarted into WinPE to continue the Windows 10 deployment
    • If the Windows 7 machine is offline, once PXE is  boot initiated at startup (F12) then user settings should be copied to the user state migration point offline then the Windows 10 OS deployed
    • Once an unknown machine is PXE booted at startup (F12) it should ignore the USMT settings and do a fresh install of the Windows 10 OS

Is this all possible with a single task sequence? MDT is not installed in the environment.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 9:53 AM

Answers

• I would say that you can merge the upgrade and fresh task sequences of the same architecture. Then you could use the variables, that we've mentioned, to differentiate were possible.

Do keep in mind that there is one scenario that you won't be able to cover and that's the computer replace scenario.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Thursday, September 17, 2015 6:09 PM

All replies

• That's possible, but you have to be creative with identifying fresh install. A simple method could be to use different collections with different variables and use that during the task sequence.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 10:20 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you should be able to use and combine the following Task Seqeucne Variables to achive what you want.

_SMSTSInWinPE which is builtin and can be used to verify if a computer is in Full OS or WinPE

Create a collection variable for the unknown computer collection that you can use to check if it is unknown.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Thursday, September 17, 2015 11:58 AM
  • Thank you for the replies. My initial plan for this was as follows:

Capture following images:

Windows 10 x86

Windows 10 x64

Create following task sequences:

Windows 10 x86 Upgrade (With USMT settings)

Windows 10 x64 Upgrade (With USMT settings)

Windows 10 x86 Fresh Install  (No USMT settings)

Windows 10 x64 Fresh Install  (No USMT settings)

Create Following Collections:

Win7x86_Upgrade_ Win10x86 (Deploy Windows 10 x86 Upgrade TS)

Win7x64_Upgrade_ Win10x64 (Deploy Windows 10 x64 Upgrade TS)

Deploy Windows 10 x86 and Windows 10 x64 Fresh Install TS to Unknown Computer

The idea would then be to move the SCCM computer accounts into the required collection when upgrade is required. Also, new deployments would be covered by the TS added to the Unknown Computers collection.

I cant help but feel I'm missing something here and can reduce the number of task sequences to achieve what is required?

Thursday, September 17, 2015 12:39 PM
  • I would say that you can merge the upgrade and fresh task sequences of the same architecture. Then you could use the variables, that we've mentioned, to differentiate were possible.

Do keep in mind that there is one scenario that you won't be able to cover and that's the computer replace scenario.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 6:09 PM
  • Thats actually a good point Peter. Just had a follow up call with the customer and they have decided to replace all their client laptops and workstations during the refresh project so this will now require the following task sequences:

• Fresh install of Windows 7\10
    • Replace of Windows 7 to Windows 10

I will look at the options for the replace scenario.

Friday, September 18, 2015 8:09 AM
  • Do keep in mind that the second task sequence should be cut in to two parts. One part that runs on Windows 7 and captures the user state and one part that runs on the new device to install Windows 10 and restores the user state.

Friday, September 18, 2015 8:13 AM