none
DNS Server qury question RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Jedi,

DNS server provide Debug Logging to record the packets sent and received by the DNS server to a log file.

As far as I know, there is no other way to get that you wanted.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, August 19, 2016 8:19 AM
  • Just keep in mind that it's not recommended to leave debug level tracing enabled as the performance impact will be anywhere from noticeable to profound depending on how busy the domain controller already is.

Looking purely at the technical workflow, you could use event collection to forward the events to a dedicated collection server, however, I strongly suspect the forwarding may not keep up with the logging (again, this is an assumption dependant on load) which would only create issues - and yet even more load on the domain controller. So, while it would work as a principle, I personally wouldn't touch that option with a barge pole.

Cheers,
    Lain

Friday, August 19, 2016 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Jedi,

DNS server provide Debug Logging to record the packets sent and received by the DNS server to a log file.

As far as I know, there is no other way to get that you wanted.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, August 19, 2016 8:19 AM
  • Just keep in mind that it's not recommended to leave debug level tracing enabled as the performance impact will be anywhere from noticeable to profound depending on how busy the domain controller already is.

Looking purely at the technical workflow, you could use event collection to forward the events to a dedicated collection server, however, I strongly suspect the forwarding may not keep up with the logging (again, this is an assumption dependant on load) which would only create issues - and yet even more load on the domain controller. So, while it would work as a principle, I personally wouldn't touch that option with a barge pole.

Cheers,
    Lain

Friday, August 19, 2016 8:28 AM