How to configure email notificaion in SCSM if the ticket and alert is active for every X minutes RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning to implement SCSM in our environment as ticketing and email notification solution for apps/servers which are being monitored through SCOM 2012 . After going through various blogs and TechNet articles I figured out that we can achieve most of the things that are requested by the management team . But below is the thing which is important for this group and I haven't found anything on this yet

If an alert A is generated --> ticket will be raised in SCSM --> The ask is that we need to be notified every x minutes by an email till alert or the ticket is active

Can someone please point me or let me know its possible in SCSM , or some scripts that needs to be plugged in .

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 8:49 PM

Answers

• definitely it can be done, all you have to do is:

• FYI, when alert A is generated > ticket will be raised in SM, that SM ticket (IR) per default uses "Operation Manager Incident Template" where the Source equals Operation Manager (this will be used as a criteria later on)
    • In SM console , go to Administration > Notification > Subscriptions (create a new one) > General tab > make sure to select 'When to notify' equals 'Periodically notify when objects meet a criteria' > Target Class: Incident > Additional Criteria tab > Source: Operation Manager and Status: Active > Recurring Notification: Frequency: X minutes / Range of recurrence: no end date

then, specify the 'Recipient' or/and the 'Related Recipient' and 'Notification template' in order to notify the required users.

• Marked as answer by Shawn18 Sunday, October 13, 2013 8:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:22 AM
  • the above is valid, which 'Option' is not the console? are you logged in as SM admin?

another way of doing it:

In SM console , go to Administration > Notification > Subscriptions (create a new one) > General tab > make sure to select 'When to notify' equals 'when the object of the class is  updated ' (Class: Incident) > Criteria: Change From 'Status' does not equal 'Closed' / Change to 'Status' equals 'Closed'. then apply the relevant email notification, recipient and/or related recipient

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:05 AM

All replies

• definitely it can be done, all you have to do is:

• FYI, when alert A is generated > ticket will be raised in SM, that SM ticket (IR) per default uses "Operation Manager Incident Template" where the Source equals Operation Manager (this will be used as a criteria later on)
    • In SM console , go to Administration > Notification > Subscriptions (create a new one) > General tab > make sure to select 'When to notify' equals 'Periodically notify when objects meet a criteria' > Target Class: Incident > Additional Criteria tab > Source: Operation Manager and Status: Active > Recurring Notification: Frequency: X minutes / Range of recurrence: no end date

then, specify the 'Recipient' or/and the 'Related Recipient' and 'Notification template' in order to notify the required users.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:22 AM
  • Thanks Ayman , I installed the evaluation copy last night and tested out the above setting , and it worked :)

I thought sending closure notification should be a simple and easy way to figure out , But now I am fighting with how to send email notification when we an close alert/incident . I tried the above using the other 2 options "when the object of the class is  created or updated " , but no luck .

Is there any other way to achieve this ?

Also I got the below post

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/e2a5aaff-b9ea-4b29-b5f9-d0fcfd390d54/email-notification-when-closing-ticket-scsm-2012?forum=systemcenterservicemanager

1.) Generate an E-Mail template with the appropriate text for the affected user (Adimin -> Notifications -> Templates)

2.) Generate a workflow for Incidents (Admin -> Workflow configuration -> Incident Event Workflow Configuration -> New)

In the Workflow configuration wou´ll set - when the Incident changes from Status "in progress" to "closed"

But I don't see that option in my console . I am using an evaluation copy of SCSM 2012 SP1 . Could you please guide me in getting this done  

Again thanks a lot for helping me out .

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 11:30 PM
  • the above is valid, which 'Option' is not the console? are you logged in as SM admin?

another way of doing it:

In SM console , go to Administration > Notification > Subscriptions (create a new one) > General tab > make sure to select 'When to notify' equals 'when the object of the class is  updated ' (Class: Incident) > Criteria: Change From 'Status' does not equal 'Closed' / Change to 'Status' equals 'Closed'. then apply the relevant email notification, recipient and/or related recipient

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:05 AM
  • Thanks Ayman , It works . I will try to review more options in order to best utilize SCSM. The above 2 questions that I asked were the primary requirements from that group . I will try to propose some more options to the management and the best out of this tool

Thanks again

Sunday, October 13, 2013 8:03 PM