none
migrate from Windows Essential Business Server RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

is anyone familiar with the migration of Windows Essential Business Server to normal servers? Is it like a SBS or does it need to be more noticed?

Best regards

Monday, July 8, 2019 1:32 PM

Answers

• The restrictions you will see after you have demoted the DC's from the Windows Essentials Business server come from the new licenses for the new server OS you have. You need to buy those licenses + the CAL's for the number of users/devices.

I would do this:

1. Build a new Hyper-V environment with 3 VM,s. One VM is DC, one is Exchange Server and one if File server
    2. Migrate Ex2007 to 2013, after this you can to 2016/2019
    3. Uninstall old EX2007 and turn of that server if it does not anything else
    4. Migrate FSMO roles to new VM that is new DC
    5. Demote old 2008 DC
    6. Because old 2008 DC is demoted you can use Storage Migration Services from the WAC to migrate your file server and keep servername and IP address.

Does this help?

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:16 PM

All replies

• Hi:
    for server 2019 standard version side, it not support server essentials experience role by design.
    for server 2019 essentials version side, server essentials role was removed from wse2019 by design.Meanwhile windows 2019 essentials remove RWA feature.
    There are 2 documents for your reference.
    migrating from sbs 2011 to Windows server 2019 essentials
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/a8aed85a-8007-4d91-b024-d26e95aef71e/migrating-from-sbs-2011-to-winodws-server-2019-essentials?forum=winserverGP
    How to migrate SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2019 Standard, Datacenter or Essentials
    https://www.server-essentials.com/support/migrate-sbs-2011-to-windows-server-2019
    Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for your answer but that does not really help me. I know how i migrate away from SBS or essentials. Thats are 1 Server solutions. But I do not know if Windows Essential Business Server (only 2008) behaves like that. This is a 3 server suite.

Can you confirm that the migration is like SBS 2008/2011 to 2012R2? If I have both DC demoted, I have 30 days to turn them off and then have no more restrictions, like max. User-CALs?

Best regards

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:06 PM
  • The restrictions you will see after you have demoted the DC's from the Windows Essentials Business server come from the new licenses for the new server OS you have. You need to buy those licenses + the CAL's for the number of users/devices.

I would do this:

1. Build a new Hyper-V environment with 3 VM,s. One VM is DC, one is Exchange Server and one if File server
    2. Migrate Ex2007 to 2013, after this you can to 2016/2019
    3. Uninstall old EX2007 and turn of that server if it does not anything else
    4. Migrate FSMO roles to new VM that is new DC
    5. Demote old 2008 DC
    6. Because old 2008 DC is demoted you can use Storage Migration Services from the WAC to migrate your file server and keep servername and IP address.

Does this help?

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:16 PM
  • HI
    If I have both DC demoted, I have 30 days to turn them off and then have no more restrictions, like max. User-CALs?
    After you demoted DC ,
    I have 21 days to turn them off.
    if you still want to RD gateway or Remote desktop service ,you need to purchase RDS CAL for your each needs domain users.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:29 AM