Work Folders Access Denied 0x80070005 RRS feed

• Question

• We're in the process of deploying Work Folders at a customer environment, the core infrastructure is Windows 2012 R2 based with a mix of Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8.1 Pro client machines.

The majority of the machines have been fine but we have a small number of users that have failed when we try to setup Work Folders with an Access Denied 0x80070005 error message, I've checked all the permissions and they are correct and another user on the same machine works fine so it seems to be something specific to these users.

I can't see any errors in the event log related to Work Folders and there are 50+ other users working fine so I don't think it's an issue with the core setup. FWIW we've only seen this on Windows 7 Pro machines, I haven't had a chance to test on of these users on a Windows 8 Pro workstation yet but that's next on the list to do.

I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions as to where I can look next? 

Thanks

Robert Grigsby

Saturday, January 10, 2015 10:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

How about the problematic user account in Windows 8? Will this problem occures?

Since you said the Work Folders was deployed through Group Policy, have you tried to add the work folder manually?

If we use Http instead Https, will the connection could be created successfully?

On the other hand, have you add these problematic user to sync list at Work Folders properties in Server?

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, January 26, 2015 1:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, February 9, 2015 10:01 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems like you were encountering a permission problem while accessing a sharing folder.

What's the type of this current system user account? Domain user or just a stanard user?

Have you tried to disable Firewall for test? How about using full name path of the sharing foler to access?

It would be better to provide a Screenshot for this error message.

Roger Lu

• Edited by Roger Lu Monday, January 12, 2015 2:12 PM missing contents
    Monday, January 12, 2015 10:45 AM
  • Hi RObert.

Could you try to narrow down this? Are those clients who are not able to access Work Folders members of just one group/department like HR or Financing?

Did you check your Group Policies?

Are those accounts able to access other folders without any issues? Are they experience any other problems?

Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people. This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, January 12, 2015 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

The users are all standard users, in one instance the account had been recreated from scratch as a test to see if this resolved the issue.

If the users browse to the Work Folders main server location directly they are able to access the share without any issues, it is only when going through the Work Folders configuration wizard that it fails.

I've tried disabling both the server and client Windows firewall but this hasn't made any difference unfortunately.

I'll try and get a screenshot of the error today and add it to this thread.

Cheers
    Robert

Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:58 AM
  • Here's a screenshot of the error, it looks like a permissions issue but the user is able to access the sync location fine as a normal share.

I've tried to narrow the issue done but there is no consistency that I can find, the user I recreated was a member of Domain users and the Group scoped to apply the Work Folders group policy and no other groups yet it still didn't work.

We only seem to see the error on Windows 7 at the moment though.

cheers

Robert

Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

How about the problematic user account in Windows 8? Will this problem occures?

Since you said the Work Folders was deployed through Group Policy, have you tried to add the work folder manually?

If we use Http instead Https, will the connection could be created successfully?

On the other hand, have you add these problematic user to sync list at Work Folders properties in Server?

Roger Lu

• Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, January 26, 2015 1:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, February 9, 2015 10:01 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:31 AM
  • I have the same issue but with windows 10. Physical path is available from problematic computer, but work folder configuration wizard is unable to complete. have you found any solutions to this problem?
    Monday, December 7, 2015 6:43 AM
  • I'm also fighting this same problem.  To remove Group Policies, management and other applications from the equation, my test is being done on a vanilla Windows 10 install, not domain joined, nothing installed.  I've enabled the local Administrator account and if I run through the Work Folders wizard using email address lookup testuser@domain.com for my DOMAIN\TestUser account, I can complete it just fine.

If I add a new local account on the same box, add it to Local Admins and perform the same, I get the Access is denied 0x80070005 error.

This does seems to affect the Windows 10 Long Term Service Branch (LTSB) more than the Current Branch (CB) but I'm having a hard time finding too much of a repeatable pattern with any of it.  I currently have a support case open with Microsoft.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 7:51 PM
  • If you are running on earlier Windows 10 build, you may encounter a bug which was later fixed the release. It is not affecting Windows 8.1 or Windows 7.

To confirm, you can check the following regkey:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SyncRootManager, if this key is missing on the device, you know that's the issue. Can you share the build number on the client encountering this issue?

Friday, December 18, 2015 9:06 PM
  • I ran into this problem with a user who left the company and then returned.  I removed the user from the security group we are using to grant access to the work folders sync share.  Once his name no longer appeared on the list, I browsed out to the SyncShareState folder which is in the root of the drive where the work folders share exists.  I located the users folder and deleted it.  I needed to take ownership first before being able to do so.  I then re-added the user to the group and it recreated and work folders started syncing.

-Rich

Friday, September 1, 2017 7:56 PM